Getting prepared for the future

Discussion in 'General Community' started by Cool_____, Jun 3, 2006.

?

Which engine should I get?

1. EJ207 mated with AVCS ready Version8 heads

36.4%
  2. EJ257 mated with WRX heads

63.6%
  1. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Well I am playing and toying with the future of the White beast. I don't know what to do. When it comes time to fix/replace the ol EJ205, I am not putting in another EJ205. I have all my options boiled down to 2 options. One thing is definate though. I am doing the USDM STi 6 speed swap as I don't want to worry about the tranny. Here are the engine options I am considering.

Option1 : EJ207 short block with V8 heads. Fully forged internals = bigger boost = WAKE UP 18g! 8000 rpm = WIDE powerband. V8 heads = faster spooling 18g! Also the engine will be AVCS capable. Overall a great package. I really like the idea to be able to rev 1000 more rpms and I think this will help the 6 speed be more useful.

Option2 : EJ257 STi shortblock with WRX heads. The limit will be the WRX heads but the 18g will stay under the 450 hp limit. SS thinks we can hit 430 tq and 400ish hp with the 18g and meth. The spoolup will be instant and fun as crap as we should hit full boost around 3000-3150 rpms. I'll always be ready to romp pretty much.

So guys vote what you would do? I haven't done much research on the EJ207 with V8 heads but does anyone know what it'll take to get the AVCS to work? I am thinking I will have to ditch the stock computer which means my EcuTek license is gone gone....or can I transfer it (someone chime in). Potentially a major PAIN to get working and going but when it is done it should SCREAM.

Sti shortblock is true and proven just have to get the right gaskets and all and no hassel with AVCS, not to mention probably the best bang for the buck. Also easier to fix/replace if something goes wrong. The power levels that Scott quoted me is what I am ultimately looking for and it will make the car what I want it to be....a quick spooling street monster. Don't get me wrong but on the street the car is nothing compared to what it is at the drag strip....dunno why but the preloading I do at launch makes a WORLD of difference.

I am keeping the setup like I already have it meaning the 18g is staying and everything else since it is all already paid for. When the turbo goes then I'll consider upgrading.

Tell me your opinions.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
  2. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Get ready this is where it gets fun and expensive. You arent going to like the 18g with either one of those motors it just wont flow enough air up top.

With teh 2.0 with v8 heads I would say a minimum of a 30r to take advantage of the rpms you can turn. a 2.5 with wrx heads, again the thing would be a torque monster with a 30r. I really like the 30r incase you cant tell.

edit, since your edit, edit

They are both good options, but I still dont think you are going to be happy with the 18g on either setup.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
  3. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yeah I know that but I wanna see what the 18g is capable of. Who knows....I may luck up and get the 30r after all. If I do...it's definately gonna be rotated mount with a wg dump.

4. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

personally, i'd go with the 2.5 block since it would be easier to get everything working

5. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yep this is gonna be a STRONG option for me. 2.5 block with PnP WRX heads. Thinking hard about doing Helix valveline and cams while I am in there. Read that this will make the WRX heads outflow even the V8 heads but Scott has told me to not do that. Not sure why but he said to just smooth out the heads a little and throw it on the 2.5 shortblock. I trust Scott more than anyone when it comes to my car so this is the route I'll most likely take. FAST spool, and insano power compared to what I have now.

I am staying with the td05 18g until it dies. When it does I am sending it to Deadbolt and upgrading to a 20g unless I simply love the 18g setup. I KNOW I'll love the spoolup but I dunno if it'll hold all the way to redline like it does now. If it can hold to 6200 rpm on the 2.5 then I'll be happy.

After thinking hard and all I don't want a 30r. With a 30r I think it would be wise to use a stock block 2.5L. Pistons are a must with that much power cause even though a lot of people are running 30r's on stock STi motors just fine, a lot of people are blowing them as well. That is not comforting to me at all. For the most part people that stay under 450 are just fine and plus I'll be running meth which is much much cooler and cleaner and safe (as long as you don't run out :keke: )

6. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

There is alot of misinformation out there about heads. I bought a set of v8s had them ported and replaced the valves with 1mm oversized. If someone wants the stock v8 cams valves and valve springs I would be happy to cut them a deal.

Read everything you can about heads, then throw all of that out the window. Then see if you can find flow and velocity numbers from the heads you are thinking about.

Its hard to find good info.

7. Demo24

Demo24 Member

well, when ever you get this done I want to see this thing get tuned :)

8. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Trust me I will let everyone know when I get tuned. This isn't any short term plans. More like way into the end of next year but I have to save up and get ready for it.

9. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

10. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Well with the block switch, if I go with the 2.5 block (98% likely) I will not have AVCS. AVCS has a lot to do with the power STi's can pull. Also that turbo alone is near $2K. I can't stress how much money plays a factor. I can upgrade in the future if I HAVE to but for the time being I can't. Getting married, a honeymoon, and then looking for a house coupled with the school loan debts we will have will take a lot of cash. If my car was paid for then that would be a different story. Sometimes I kinda wish I would've waited and gotten the STi but then my insurance would have been $150 a month more ;)

11. Kreeger

Kreeger Member

I have a complete version 7 motor/ECU setup...

If you plan to register it here in GA, don't get JDM AVCS heads. It will NEVER pass GA emissions. Period.

12. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

well if you're getting into the future of things, you're gonna have to get one of these...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  13. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I live in SC. No inspection whatsoever!

It's 100% official and I have made my mind up. Talking with Scott I am gonna go with the 2.5 L route. Stock WRX heads should do fine. The 18g is gonna loose breath up top as even the 20g does but we will see how the car likes it. If I decide to go bigger.....hmmmm the SZ55 is a big candidate but I'll decide that when the time comes. I am not gonna go through the headache and hassel of finding ECU for the JDM motor and then have to pay for another EcuTek license. Not worth it.

Go with something that is simple and straight forward and easily repairable. STi shortblocks are a dime a dozen and easily obtainable.

Now I'm off to build my custom airbox ;)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006