Royel Purple?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by FrankenSTI, Jun 9, 2006.

1. FrankenSTI

FrankenSTI Member

I have royal puprle gear oil I got from Top Speed, im trying to get some info on the pros and cons of using it.

2. wrxguy

wrxguy Member

dude i heard mixed information from it! From one side that i have a friend down in florida that wont use it since it made his gears grind like hell and some people up here that use it have it works great! Sorry i cant be more help but i would use the redline shock proof or the cocktail mixture that we have posted on here!

3. FrankenSTI

FrankenSTI Member

Yeah ive heard mixed feelings on it to. Thanx

4. rsxkiller

rsxkiller Member

I use Royal Purple but engine oil and that is all I use I love it won't use anything else but gear oil don't have experiece with that.

5. wrxguy

wrxguy Member

i know that RedLine Shock proof and CockTail mix work so if didnt see it my last post!

6. jeb

jeb Member

I used royal purple for about 30k miles. It was ok, the syncros don't work as well. I'd say with it you can't shift into first above about 3 mph without double clutching, but I can only shift 8ish with new stock fluid so it wasn't really to bad. I couldn't really feel any performance difference and if it helped my gas mileage is wasn't enough to notice either. I don't hate the stuff but I'm going to stick with traditional oil for mine.

7. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

+1 for the cocktail mix

8. trueblue

trueblue New Member

just put this up on nasioc too

my guess is your gonna get opinions all over the place on this one (at least thats what my research has shown), but here is my 2 cents.

about 4 weeks ago i switched out the oem tranny oil for royal purple. todate, the shifts are smoother with no side affects. overall - very pleased.

i went with royal purple for a couple of reasons 1) they are a supporter in subiesport and i like the mag 2) i've tried just about every other syn oil out but not royal purple 3) at 1k miles i switched in mobil 1 into the engine, at 5k i switched to royal purple (reasons 1 & 2), having consistantly averaged around 18.5 mpg per tank (i check every fill up), my mileage jumped to just over 20 mpg and has never dropped below that ( i basically just drive it back and forth to work so the route is very consistant).

even more controversial is the rear diff, i almost certain (not 100% yet) that at my next oil chg royal purple is going back there too (man i know i'm gonna get it for that one)

9. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

cocktail mix isnt recomended in the sti tranny

10. wrxguy

wrxguy Member

nope its not good for the sti.

11. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

DO NOT PUT IT IN YOUR TRANSMISSION! i bought my car and it had royal purple in it. I started to have problems with minor grinding. I drained it and that oil is about as thick as water. Do the cocktail for sure. I put in 3? quarts of HD gear oil, and 1 qt of shockproof and it shifts GREAT.