syncro problem

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by 05impreza, Jun 27, 2006.

1. 05impreza

05impreza Member

Hey, i just wanted to get some other people's opinion on a problem i'm having w/ my car. you guys actually live near a "performance friendly" dealer, unlike me. thus mod i do to my car voids my warranty according to them. that alone is why i don't do business w/ my dealer anymore. anyway........ sometimes when i shift into 5th on my 05 sti i get a little grinding noise. the problem is intermitent and only happens at really random times. i know how to drive and i know the clutch is in and its not my fault(if you know what i mean). on alot of the other forums: nasioc, iwsti, etc......, i have read about syncro problems out of the 04-05 sti's. anyone else had a similar problem or any input would help....thanks!

2. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

how many miles since your last changed your tranny fluid?

3. 05impreza

05impreza Member

the car is still under warranty and just went over 20,000 miles.....this is my first subaru, if i'm supposed to change it more frequently then the scheduled maintenance please inform me. so to answer you question, it hasn't been done yet.

4. 05impreza

05impreza Member

no one has ever heard of syncros going out on 04-05's?

5. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

If someone has heard of this issue they will speak up.
    I have an 05 with bout 17K on it and mine shifts smooth with no issues.

6. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

my first gear grinds like a bitch. Then again, 1st gear isn't syncro'd :grr:

7. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Yeah, its got a syncro and it shouldnt grind.

8. 05impreza

05impreza Member

i'll be taking to the dealership next week, so we'll see what happens

9. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

sti tranny shouldn't be giving you any problems, modded or not.

1st is synchro'd, i think you're thinking of reverse.

10. 05impreza

05impreza Member

thats exactly what i thought.....we know its not a clutch problem b/c it wouldn't be intermittent like it is and it would do it in all gears not just 5th

11. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

I'm 90% Sure that in the 02 model WRX 1st & Reverse are not Synchro'd. Because I can't slip into 1st when I'm driving over 10 mph, like I can in any other stick shift.

Craig

12. wrxguy

wrxguy Member

sounds like the 5th syncro is miss aligned maybe. but what i would do is put some either redline syncro shock in there or the cocktail mix to see if makes a diffrence

13. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

i would trust the matt knows what he is talking about. hes replaced everything you can on a suby. he has a dog box on his 02 im sure hes been deep in the trans.

14. wrxguy

wrxguy Member

i think you guys mite want to consult the DRIVE PINION ASSEMBLY and the MAIN SHAFT ASSEMBLY because (1st and 2nd gear)(5th and rev) have a Synchronizer hubs.

Subaru Transmission Manuel page 223 section mt-8 and mt-9

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  15. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I can assure you that first has a syncro, I'v taken a few trannys apart now.

16. 05impreza

05impreza Member

looks like i'll be heading to the dealership later on in the week. i'll post what happens.......

17. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

as for the first gear grinding, whenever it feels like it wont go in on a hill or something and i'm slowing to about 20, just blip the throttle to about 2000-2500 rpm and it should slide into first easy at one point.

18. Demo24

Demo24 Member

your not suppose to, if you feel the gearshift and listen you can actually hear the transmission spinning up. What it is, is the pre-06 models don't have a dual cone synchro on 1st, thus the need to wait until a low speed before going into 1st.

19. 05impreza

05impreza Member

hope mine doens't start grinding in the other gears besides 5th.....i actually talked to the dealer and they had heard of the problem before( thank goodness!) we got a new dealer about 30 min from me around 4 months ago and they are def. quite a bit more performance friendly than the other dealer

20. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

my cars gears grinded bad before i swapped the fluid, then i went to redline shockproof with hd gear oil cocktail. It did wonders. I can shift into first at 20mph and it has not grinded since. give that a shot.

21. 05impreza

05impreza Member

thanks, i was thinking about changing to synthetic or a diff fluid once i had the dealership look at it later this week....

22. 05impreza

05impreza Member

just dropped it off at our new dealer in cool springs area......they have been very welcoming and seem to genuinely want to help get my problem solved. i'll post again when i hear back from them. so far so good