HID headlight is not working...

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by sschmenk, Jul 7, 2006.

1. sschmenk

sschmenk New Member

Hello fellow suby owners.

I recently got in a wreck, not a bad one, where my headlight got damaged. The headlight is currently not working, but it was after the wreck. After the first time it quit lighting, it came back on and the other, undamaged one stopped then after turning it off and on both started to work again. Now the damaged one is not lighting again and I checked the bulb and it looks ok. Does anyone know what would make one of these light not work and then the two flip flop? I was thinking it may have something to do with the ballast, but if that was the case then I was thinking I would just have problems with the one damaged headlight.

Any clues or past experience is greatly appreciated.

2. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

i'm thinking it's wireing
    it's broken somewhere which makes it go off and on
    otherwise someone with more sense will come up and answer ur question
    btw
    welcome to wrxatlanta.com enjoy ur stay

3. Jake

Jake Active Member

if any of the wiring became exposed during the wreck, this could have caused a short. and HIDs when they short, like to blow ballasts or starters instead of ur everyday lights which are easy to replace. I know this because one of my wires became exposed and blew both my ballast and starter on one side. only i didn't notice this until after i had alreay paid 100 bucks for replacement bulbs and they still didnt work. by the time u purchase a new ballast and starter ur back at the price of a new kit so u might as well just get a new kit, IMHO. anyways, thats my .02

4. sschmenk

sschmenk New Member

Thank you for your responses. I was pretty sure it was the ballast, but I didn't think the wreck was bad enough to mess with the wiring. It was like a 10-15mph bump.

Thanks again.

Derrick

5. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

hope it works out man

6. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Have they gotten any water on them recently?

7. sschmenk

sschmenk New Member

It is possible that they got water on them, because I have a CAI and the airduct that used to keep the hood sealed is not there anymore.