03 wagon

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by milkmn42, Feb 23, 2013.

1. milkmn42

milkmn42 New Member

Not that i was well known here 3 years ago but im back, from a 07 stg2 wrx to a 03 wrx wagon.

Id like some advice on mods. I was all over my 07 doing things to it but with the 03 im learning all over again. I believe it to have a ebay exhaust on it. its not stock, 3 inch opening at tip. The down pipe doesnt have a heat shield on it and its not stock either. everything else seems stock.

so im asking what exhaust systems from dp back are suggested for bugeyes as far as performance. any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

just take a look at the exhaust. 3" is good, and as long as its not leaking I wouldn't change it. Go stage 2 from there or throw a vf series turbo with larger top mount and get a pro tune you'll have about 270 to the wheels on the 2.0

3. milkmn42

milkmn42 New Member

well its a 3 inch tip, the pipe is still a 2 inch, and the mid pipe if factory. the downpipe looks like a bell mouth, i bought it from a dealer and they were clueless on the car, they had hit the parking lights and were disconnecting the battery because they couldn't figure it out.

4. 04subiwrx

04subiwrx Member

Any full 3" exhaust will be fine. I have a 03 wagon as well with a vf39,ewg,full exhaust, front mount and love the setup for the mountains. If I was to do it again I would just get a bigger top mount so it wouldn't be as laggy. Overall it is a perfect daily/mountain setup

5. I have an 02.
    Wagons rock - plain and simple.

Go fast mods:
    If it isn't a 3" exhaust all the way, then you'll need one. If you have no idea what the current exhaust is, take some pictures and post them up. We'll be able to ID it easily enough.
    Do NOT put an intake on it. Just don't. :)
    For "stage 2", you'll need this stuff: 3" exhaust and catless uppipe. Cobb accessport (unmarried, if its used) for flashing the tune. You'll maybe make 210-230 to the wheels.
    For stage 3, you'll need (in addition to stage 2 needs): STI intercooler, VF39 (turbo from an STI), STI pink injectors. Tune with the cobb accessport.

My opinion? Do some handling mods first.
    Get some nice street springs to lower it a bit. That is a good opportunity to swap out the struts for something stiffer (and newer) while you swap the springs. A rear swaybar from a sedan. The anti lift kit is really nice.

Show the car off! post some pics.

6. milkmn42

milkmn42 New Member

that was my next question, was do i need bigger injectors with the bigger turbo. my 07 was wrx was stage2 and i got most all my parts from jermemy at crucial racing in colorado but i think he closed up shop. i will post pics of the car, exhaust and down pipe. I believe its got aftermarket springs on it because it sits lower then stock wagons I've seen in the past. not drastic but maybe 1 inch. i have my old cobb access point but it wasnt divorced. I would like to hit 300. but isnt it true that the chassis on wrx's (non sit) cant handle 300+ HP?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  7. milkmn42

milkmn42 New Member

[​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  8. milkmn42

milkmn42 New Member

[​IMG][/IMG]

9. milkmn42

milkmn42 New Member

[​IMG][/IMG]

10. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

you will need bigger injectors. I recommend 650cc's or higher depending on your goal.

11. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

The chassis has nothing to do with power. The transmission does. It'll hold 300 all day if you treat it right and treat it well. For 300 hp I'd go with a STi turbo, STi pink injectors or equivalent, fuel pump, full 3" exhaust catted or catless (depending on if you want the smell or not) and upgraded turbo inlet. Done.

Be careful of how big you go. Too big and atomization suffers but the effect is very minimal. But from past experience efficiency makes all the difference. I wish I didn't go so large an injector on my car.

12. Fuel pump...
    I always take a fuel pump upgrade for granted...

13. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

OP,

Do you want 300 CRANK horsepower, or 300 WHEEL horsepower?

For 300whp on a 2.0, you'll need the aforementioned full exhaust, fuel pump, injectors, ECU tune, and an upgraded turbo. A turbo inlet would certainly help, and considering the age of your car, your stocker is probably about done anyway.

For a REAL 300whp, though, you need to go with a relatively large turbo- larger than an STi VF39 or whatever variant of that turbo you might find, unless you want to run meth injection, race fuel, or something of that sort.

You really need an 18G or larger type turbo, and while lag on those may not be as bad as some make out, kiss the instaspool of a TD04 goodby. I'm of the opinion the EJ205 if more robust than a lot of people give it credit for, and it should make 300whp or just over for quite a while if it is a healthy example. I do agree with what has been said about the trans. If you don't beat the snot out of it, a stock five speed can hold that amount. I wouldn't plan on taking it to the drag strip without being ready for destruction, though.

On paper, you'll need at least 650cc injectors for that power level. Anyone who tells you they are making 300whp on a 2.0 with 565cc injectors without chemical intercooling or a similar power adder is probably lying, maxed the injectors out to a level they shouldn't, or has been to an unrealistic dyno. I would avoid going much larger than absolutely necessary injectors, though, unless you just want a ton of headroom for future upgrade possibilities. That being said, I personally wouldn't take an EJ205 far beyond the 300whp mark if I wanted it to last.

Now, if you are talking CRANK horsepower you can get close to that by just optimizing the turbo you have. You'd need to think about the drive-ability characteristics you want before considering a turbo upgrade if that is your goal.

The above info is my take, anyway. If anyone wants to add or contradict, by all means do so. You won't offend me, and I'm wrong about stuff on a regular basis.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  14. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

Actually, critiquing my own post, I'm not 100% on what I said about 565 injectors not pushing 300 wheel horsepower. Back when I did a turbo upgrade on my 04 wagon, research somehow lead me to step up beyond those in hope of hitting the 300whp mark if I went to an even bigger turbo. Just looked a fuel calculator, though, and it looked like it might be doable. I can't remember.

15. milkmn42

milkmn42 New Member

I appreciate all the feedback, Im good at 300 at the wheel, i dont have any intention of going over that, but id like to hit it. it is a daily driver. The concern about the chassis i had read on another subbie forum years ago that the wrx chassis couldnt handle more then 300 and the sti no more then 500. but its just something i read.

16. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Just remember...drivability is more important than a number.

17. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

300 wheel on a bugeye transmission is just begging for trouble

18. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

How many miles are on the engine currently?

19. milkmn42

milkmn42 New Member