12:20AM Downtime on the 20th

Discussion in 'Community Announcements & News' started by Alex, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Not sure why, our cluster got slammed by a few DDoS attacks earlier today, then suddenly, around midnight tonight, all the mysql servers crashed as well as the ftp servers.

Everything seems back up and running now.

Just letting everyone know.

2. dlowman

dlowman Member

What you doing to stop the Dos attacks?

3. xjenjenx

xjenjenx Member

i thought it was me. hhaha. i so dont know what ddos and ftp are...

4. dlowman

dlowman Member

DDOS is Distributed denial of servicea attack. ftp is file transfer protocol. Most of them are pretty hard to trace down. You know if it was a smurf attack or a fraggle Alex?

5. xjenjenx

xjenjenx Member

:dunno

6. Alex

Not sure yet Dan, was talking to one of the reps of the hosting co. They were receiving all sorts of junk down the line from all over. They finally got that cleared up. I couldnt get a solid answer as to what brought down the databases and such. My guess would be they brought it all down as a precaution while they deep searched everything to make sure their clusters were in the clear.

7. dlowman

dlowman Member

Yeah those attacks are a pain in the butt. Almost impossible to trace.

8. Alex

Yeah, they were reported to be from overseas. but if experience tells me anything, its coming from somewhere stateside with "borrowed" DNS's and ip's.

9. Brian

Brian Active Member

Tell your hosting company to get Internet Security Systems for protection... 8) "Protection ahead of the threat".

So who else does computer security here?

10. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

i wondered why i couldnt log on.....atleast eveyrthing is stillg ood.

11. Alex

They've been around since 99, I chose them over the last for depenendability and security. It seems the latter is less than before.

12. dlowman

dlowman Member

I don't do security per say. I handle load balancers, ssl/vpn off loaders, accellerated firewalls, wireless routers, and stuff like that.