2.5 block swap stock turbo

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by emstraumajunke, Sep 3, 2006.

1. I know someone on here had it done what was the max tq and when did you hit peak boost RPMS wise. A friend is about to do this and he had a few questions. Thanks

2. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

It's basically what's on all 06 WRX's if I get what you're saying. We have a 2.5 block with the TD04 which is marvelous for torque production, providing you can get it tuned right. SS assures me it could make as much as 320 ft. lbs. if not a bit more and around 250 hp. I'm not quite there yet because of timing issues but that's an 06 specific ECU problem that AP has already worked out and that others will solve soon I suspect.

If you're talking about something else then disregard...

3. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

What kind of timing issues? The OpenECU gang has flashed some 06s including modifying timing from what I've seen on the forums.

4. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Oh my timing issues. It's an Ecutek problem. I don't want to be too specific on the forum just yet to protect the innocent, but it's something to do with open loop and underlying timing maps. We have control of boost, wastegate and some timing control but there's still something keeping us from hitting max boost at under 4,000 RPM's. We've seen the TD04 hit 18.2 PSI but if the ECU won't let the timing retard in the right spots the boost is useless... I can't believe I just said that...... the boost is useless.... about all I see under 3,000 is 7 to 8 PSI and it starts building just before it goes to near max at over 4,000. Bummer huh?

5. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Bummer indeed. It might be worth posting the details on openecu.org and seeing if they have encountered similar issues and how they were solved.

6. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Yeah ok. But not until after I talk to SS again. ;)

7. scuby drew

scuby drew techos ftws!!EEEE

with this setup you will have instant boost, but little to nothing at the top end. I believe John (Johnnyboy*and some numbers*) on the forum had this set up for a while before he got his vf22, so he could give you some more info on it

8. billyocean

billyocean Member

I have this setup as well and it is Very Trqy on the bottom end but it just falls off up top,
    02 Wrx, Sti bottom end, Stock heads, Stock turbo

9. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Well bottom end torque is what I'd rather have anyway. Our engines really don't rev that high compared to some.