2004 sti spindle problem

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by impreza, Jan 8, 2015.

1. impreza

impreza Member

Can any one when me ?i recent bought a 2004 sti and when i bought it i noticed it had a really loose e brake so i jacked up the car to find the end of the e break line zip tied to the tailing arm.So i took of the the rotor to see what was wrong and i found that it was missing the whole spindle drum break thing.its to many parts to buy alone so im buying the whole assembly.i wanted to know if it has to be the 04 sti spindle because of the brembos' or just any wrx or sti 5x114 spindle would work?any help is appreciated.

2. Justin V

Justin V Member

Any STI setup and maybe newer WRX's should work. Its about the diameter of the drum portion. STIs were all the same, some newer models switched to the bigger diameter... I am not sure of all the interchangeability... but its a subaru

3. b reel

b reel Active Member

04 USDM STI only or 02-03 JDM STI

04 STI is the only USDM with 190mm parking brake being 5x100

02-07 WRX is 170mm parking brake and 5x100

08+ uses a completely different rear suspension and axle stub

4. impreza

impreza Member

I was think any sti setup would work too but I thiought maybe the 2004 sti were different because they were the only sti with 5x100 and brembos so I though maybe they were special or some thing

5. impreza

impreza Member

Ok thanks for the info really helped so now I know what I'm looking for.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  6. Justin V

Justin V Member

What about 05-07 STI's

The reason I think they will work is that I use DBA gravel rotors on my setup. They have the larger drum for the sti uprights on my car but smaller rotor diameter to use the smaller 4pot/2pot setup.

The rotors are drilled for both 5x100 and 5x114.

Your best bet is to call Ken at KNS Brakes in NC, he knows these systems all too well and has made brackets to interchange calipers and what not. He will know what interchanges and may even have the parts.

7. b reel

b reel Active Member

parking brake assembly is the same but the strut mounting holes are different on 05-07 STI's

2004 is the bastard child year for the USDM STI. Different struts, 16-bit CANBUS, no rear fender trim and 5x100

Most aftermarket rotors are dual drilled

As for the OP, best bet is to just buy new parking brake hardware or just roll up to Allpro and get it sorted out. Easier than trying to change out the assembly with bolts that haven't been touched in 10+ years LOL

post up pics of the problem

8. impreza

impreza Member

Sorry for not replying I didn't know they kept posting after mine.the spindle isn't the problem its that it missing the little spring and drum break pad things that connect to the ebreak line
    .i saw some one on here who selling the spedel assembly I need but if off an 06 wrx so do you think they would work? I would post pics but I already put everything back together

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  9. b reel

b reel Active Member

The hardware should be the same for the parking brake. Sounds like someone pulled the rotor off with the parking brake on.

10. impreza

impreza Member

here some pics of what it look like on the car.i had to repair the brembos because the thread striped but the heli coils came to the rescue so while I was there I took some pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]