2007 redesign thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mad Mallard, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

I just read over at Edmunds that the redesign will be a hatchback? And I don't think they mean a wagon version...

2. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

It wouldn't really surprise me if you look at it from a WRC type standpoint.

Citroen and Peugeot both run hatchbacks in the WRC and Hyundai will be introducing a new hatch (end of this year I believe) that they would like to see enter rally races of different sorts.

There are even rumors that Honda wants to bring it's new Civic hatchback into the US market if and when the market for a hatch is rekindled.

IMO Subaru could certainly deliver a badass hatch for 2008.

3. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

*sniff* but, the beauty of a 4 door people hauler that can chew up and spit out 2 door cars will die... :(

4. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

I'm trying to picture it though. I've been kind of thinking they would stay with the sedan body style before now and trying to imagine what that would look like hasn't gotten me very far.

Surely any hatch would have two... excuse me three doors instead of five and would have about the same wheel base as the sedan does now. It could actually lose some weight and yet retain all the good stuff we come to expect from the engineers.

Here's the link to what we were looking at btw: Edmunds Inside Line

P.S. You have to click read more.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  5. slpymnky

slpymnky Member

One of the salesmen at my local dealership said that the 2008 WRX will be based off of the Legacy platform.

6. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Hmm. Don't get me wrong cause it could be, but salesmen are usually clueless about real stuff. However they generally know more about bells and whistles than any one person should ever know.

7. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

i dont see hatches becoming a "big hit" unless its pushed heavily.

8. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

There are some concept photos floating around, Ill see if i can find them.

9. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

I've seen the new WRX, I can't say much in public but it will be nice

10. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Damn you Patrick, with your Inside Information. Leak it to us so we can be the cool guys that have the first unofficial official pics of the new design.

11. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

This is what I have been waiting for. A hatch WRX. If Subaru doesn't bring it though, I may defect for the Mazdaspeed3. Though, I would hate to go back to FWD....

12. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

yeah a subaru hatchy would be sweet...might make me give up tha bugeye.....any pics yet on this?....the link was useless to me, no time to do extensive searching.....

13. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

from these articals it looks as if the new b5 might be our impreza hatch.

[​IMG]
    Auto Express is reporting that Subaru’s replacement plans for its Impreza involve a radical hatchback, which may look like the B5 concept (pictured) the company will be unveiling at the Tokyo motor show this year. The new Impreza, set to be launched in mid-2007, AE says, will mark Scooby’s move up-class, with build quality reportedly rivaling Audi’s supporting radical new styling cues. The car will also get Subaru’s new, turbo-supported hybrid-drive system, the Turbo Parallel Hybrid (TPH), which is based on the company’s 2.0-liter boxer engine. The system is being touted as offering a notable boost in both horsepower and torque. Stay tuned, kids. [Thanks to Denis for the tip.]

*thanks to jalopnik.com for the artical

Impreza hatches out

Finally, Auto Express can officially reveal the future for Subaru! Although we were the first magazine to break the news on bold plans for a hatch to replace the Impreza (issue 853), not until now has the sheer scale of the model's reinvention become apparent.

While the hatchback's intro-duction has shocked fans of the marque, it's only part of a radical series of upgrades which are designed to push the firm's best-selling model back to the top of its class. Quite simply, the fresh Impreza is one of the most daring cars of the year - and one which represents a dramatic change of direction for the firm...

The newcomer, due in mid-2007, also looks certain to represent the most extreme evolution yet of Subaru's now-familiar design direc- tion. Christened the B5, it will be unveiled at this month's Tokyo Motor Show, and features the firm's aeroplane-shaped grille, a clamshell rear hatch and chiselled flanks.

It is made even more distinctive by its upswept door styling, while inside are four generously sized chairs swathed in daring colours, plus a practical boot. In a nod to the tradition of the Impreza STi, the rev counter is mounted in the centre of the dash, although it now contains a digital speedo just like in the Porsche 911. The motivation behind the change is Subaru's desire to shift upmarket; insiders say matching Audi's reputation for build quality, performance and quality is the ultimate target. But, as we've already reported, the radical chan-ges don't end with the styling.

Under the newcomer's distinctive bodywork, huge upgrades are being made to the powertrain, too. Although the Subaru will continue to use a turbocharged evolution of the firm's famous flat-four motor, the arrangement is being given a futuristic twist with an innovative hybrid system - the first designed to work with a turbo.

Officially referred to as a new Turbo Parallel Hybrid (TPH), the 2.0-litre boxer turbo-based set-up is expected to produce more than 300bhp - nearly 30bhp more than the standard Impreza STi whichis available today. But as well as offering masses of power high in the rev range, the system will boost bottom-end torque considerably, while enhancing fuel economy and reducing CO2 emission levels at the same time.

The B5 will no doubt feature Subaru's usual superb handling and performance. But it's interesting to note that the concept pays tribute to the firm's rally heritage, sitting 200mm off the ground and wearing tyres with tread shaped to offer all-terrain capability.

*thanks to Peter Lyon for the artical

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

15. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

That's different for sure...

It's not exactly what I had in mind but hey, if it's fast they will buy it. To me it's still to early to start discussing details though.

16. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

humm, not quite :)

17. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

looks kinda ugly?....where's the intercooler? FM or TM...?

18. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Begins plans to kidnap Patrick....

Wet noodle...check
    Heat Lamp....check
    400 pound former soviet female bodybuilder...check....