2007 Z4 M Roadster test drive

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Strayen, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

So I got to drive my manager's 2007 Z4 M Roadster with 6700 miles on it today. I'll just plainly say what my impressions were, and I guess comparison to my car.

The Z4 M is rated for like 330hp/260tq at crank at around 7000rpm. I drove the car around the side roads of 400 from Global BMW and pushed 3rd to 80mph around 6k rpm. I didn't want to push it TOO hard cause i think my manager was cringing in the passenger seat. haha...

The clutch is butter smooth and I had no problem in 1st gear or any gear thereafter. First jaunt to 80mph was done in normal mode and the engine response was pretty good but felt sluggish. Not much was done with steering or to test the suspension so i can't comment on those. Brakes felt very strong, seriously, stronger then stock 4pot WRX or Brembos is what it felt like.

From a light, I put it in sport mode and did the other side of the side road. The engine was definitely a lot more talkative and the rpms shot up fast in all three gears. Here's a funny thing, though i wasn't flooring it on 3rd gear, there was a VW (one of the faster ones I think) which was right on my tail till about 60. I know if it was my subaru, they would have been left in the dust but in this Z4 I couldn't pull away.

The transmission was also super smooth and a lot of fun to shift. I need to get a real short-shifter cause god I don't want to row through my gears any more. :( And once again, the brakes left me somewhat awed. They are meant to be thrashed around a track.

Overall noise level of the car with the top down was quieter then my car is now....ok any car is quieter than an EWG. But still, the engine at 6k rpm with top down wasn't thrilling enough for me. The power delivery of course of the NA is even but the lack of a turbo kick made it feel slower.

My overall impression is the car is very fun for someone wanting a roadster with power but the power is nothing to write home about. I'll have to get him to let me take it out for a more thorough testing so I can take it to 7k rpm on 4th gear and see what it feels like. I'll also have to try and convince him to take it out to a track day sometime.

-Russell