2008 Challenger

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Greg, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Greg

Greg Active Member

2. Waiting for its brother the Cuda.

3. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

:rofl:
    jokes aside... i was wondering what the MVT stood for

4. longfury

longfury Active Member

Kind hard to have a 'Cuda without Plymouth.

I am not really interested in the retro pony cars. They look good but they will still be straight line beasts and be worthless when the road gets twisty.

5. Greg

Greg Active Member

That was just for you :p

6. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Camaro is going to have an IRS. Sure. it'll weigh 4000 pounds.....

7. Greg

Greg Active Member

I saw the Camaro in person at Year One, and I just don't really like the front end...

8. JL889

JL889 Pandastic!

I sell the Challenger if anyone wants one ;)

9. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

I'd rather have the original than some watered down modern reincarnation. Why cant they just make a new supercar with modern looks?

10. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

because american car design has been stagnant for nearly 20 years, with only a few exceptions.

and, because you are not their market, the boomers are.

it'll be interesting to see to these companies when boomers are no longer their market

11. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

^^ +1

12. crashtke

crashtke Member Supporting Member

I have to disagree on a couple points. The 05 mustang GT handles VERY well compared to previous years. It was totally redesigned and to be honest, having driven several different mustangs, handles better than any mustang I have ever driven, to include previous year Saleens. My 89 5.0 had extensive handling mods to include sways, springs, adjustable shocks, subframes and more and it still did not stick nearly as well as the 05 GT. As for the looks, I always liked the looks of the old classic American Muscle. The fact that they are now coming out with similar styling with all the modern technology, handling and amenities to me is a smart move.

13. BelvnAWD

This may be true, but it still has a live rear axle which will always put it at least a step down in the handling department. The mustang, no matter how well set up, will never hustle around a track or twisty mountain road as well as other performance cars, without massive modification to the rear suspension (read: sheet metal cutting, show horning of an IRS). I love the styling of the new mustang. I love the exhaust note, the interior, everything, except the stupid f'ing decision to stick with decades old, inferior, suspension tech. Had they not done this, and found a weigh to make it just a bit lighter. I might be driving a GT convertible instead of the rex...

14. crashtke

crashtke Member Supporting Member

They actually completely redesigned the suspension. It is a totally different set up in the rear than previous years. They decided to go with the solid axle rather than independent rear due to strength. I mean lets be honest, the thing they are still used most for is massive power in a straight line. I will admit it still is not quite up to what the wrx can do, but it is very close in stock form.

15. BelvnAWD

Using a solid rear axle, redesigned or not, is still a deal breaker for me. From a business standpoint, I can understand their decision. How many people even know the difference in the mass market? But from the enthusiast perspective, its a brain dead move. There are plenty of high power drag cars out there using IRSs. Thats not really a valid excuse. This was all about money, and IMHO, a short sighted accounting decision. As far as it being close to the WRX handling in Stock form, I could debate that, but won't because out the door prices on GTs are closer to STI prices and the STI clearly outperforms the GT.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  16. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

I love Mopar, especially older Mopar from the 60's. Heck, I have had nothing but older Mopar to include a 70 Dart Swinger,68 Charger,72 Charger, and a 64 Fury. I think that the Challenger has a nice look, and I would imagine with the hemi, it would be seriously quick, but a bit heavy....Like Greg says, that would be the only american car that I would buy. I like the new Camaro also.

Mark

17. Greg

Greg Active Member

Yeah, the new Camaro design is actually growing on me, but I think they went a little too futuristic on it. The only pictures that I've seen are the prototype, so who know what will actually stick in the production model. I just think the Challenger is a lot better looking and more mean looking than the Camaro. But I also think that Ford went in the right direction by doing the "older new model" design, I really like the new cobras/shelbys look.

18. Trey

Trey Active Member

Too bad those pics are the concept and not the production car. I'm sure it'll be watered down like all the other Chrysler concepts that went live.

19. Greg

Greg Active Member

20. Deke

Deke Active Member

I would definitely rock that, even if it does get watered down a little.

21. Greg

Greg Active Member

They can't really water down the overall shape of it, and thats what i like. The interior is a little too futuristic for what the car is, but I'm possitive that they'll scale that back