2015 WRX to be Unveiled Nov 20

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nygiant, Nov 11, 2013.

1. nygiant

nygiant Member

looks like they got rid of the widebody again.

[​IMG]

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

...it's kind of there.

[​IMG]

3. Matt

I'm way more interested in this concept at this point:

[​IMG]

4. nygiant

nygiant Member

much better picture. thanks.
    i can kinda see it too

5. b reel

b reel Active Member

What? the BRZ hatch?

6. nygiant

nygiant Member

After much rampant speculation and more leaks than a pasta strainer, here we finally have official confirmation and specs for 2015 Subaru WRX that will make its debut at this week's LA Auto Show.

Despite being smaller than the outgoing 2.5-liter engine, the new 2.0-liter, direct-injection, turbocharged boxer produces 268 hp, which is three up on the outgoing model. Torque is up 14 to 258 lb-ft. These may sound like modest gains, but both figures are accessed much lower in the rev range and within a wider band.

As we previously reported, the new engine is mated to a new six-speed gearbox, which is a first in the WRX. The shorter gear ratios combined with the engine's broader powerband should translate to some substantial improvements to in-gear acceleration. The WRX will also, for the first time, be available with a CVT automatic transmission, with three settings and wheel mounted paddle shifters.

Handling has come in for attention as well. The new WRX boasts a stiffer chassis and improved suspension. The new electronically-assisted power steering could have big implications for how the WRX telegraphs road surface information through the steering wheel. The 17-inch wheels are shod in Dunlop SP Sport Maxx RT tires.

Curb weight for the base model is 3267 lb. That's a mere 60 lbs heavier that the previous WRX, but it should be noted that the CVT equipped car carries a hefty weight penalty of 166 lbs.

The new WRX will be slightly larger than the car it replaces. It may not be on the same styling level as the WRX concept from earlier this year, but overall, this is a much sleeker WRX than what we're used to. Pumped up fenders and front and rear bodywork give it a wide stance that ensure it won't be mistaken for a lesser Impreza, while WRX styling touchstones, like front fog lamps, optional rear spoiler and giant hood scoop make triumphant returns.

The cabin also gains a flat-bottomed leather steering wheel with audio and Bluetooth controls, and new, sportier, more supportive seats. Two multifunction screens provide the driver with a wealth of information, from audio settings to a boost gauge display.

Availability and pricing have not yet been announced but expect the 2015 WRX in showrooms within the first quarter of next year.

7. nygiant

nygiant Member

8. KGraska

KGraska Member

Look like we are going to have to wait until January to see the 2015 STI...supposedly being unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show

9. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

It looks kinda meh to me. I wouldn't run out a preorder one.

10. jchon3

jchon3 Supporting Member

fingers crossed for the STI :sx:

11. redefining boring.
    They'll sell millions.

looking forward to the STI, where subaru always goes to correct watered down design cues.

12. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

I was planning on getting a new WRX/STI in about a year and a half. Now it looks like I'll be looking for a 13 since they look WAY nicer than this so far.

13. Matt

The big thing that deterred me from getting a WRX over the BRZ was the interior. It's too plasticy and cheap. The BRZ has a much nicer interior. The 2015 WRX also has a nicer interior over current gen.

14. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

The interior looks great in the 15 but I just cant get over the exterior. I love the wide fenders that the 13 model have.

15. Matt

I dunno..the fenders look the same to me.
    Current:
    [​IMG]
    2015:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  16. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

From that angle they look the same.

17. Matt

I'm not sure red was the proper color to really show the lines for this car. But the fenders are essentially the same. :)

[​IMG]

18. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

they said they made it bigger for a more spacious interior.. maybe it's because i own a "small car" now, but why bigger??

19. nygiant

nygiant Member

probably bc every other new car on the road now is freakin huge

20. jchon3

jchon3 Supporting Member

Wonder if the new FA20 DIT will be running on EL headers..

21. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

yea, why? philosophical question, not arguing

22. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Not gonna lie... I am kinda glad I didn't wait for this one... The rear end is kinda fugly IMO. It also has to much corolla styling on the profile and the rear. The front looks pretty good though. The rest is a whole bunch of meh. The FINALLY put a 6spd in the WRX, what took them so long.

I am interested to see what they do with the STi though...

23. longfury

longfury Active Member

I am not really interested in a turbo'edcars anymore. I really love NA engines.

Also, I think the spoiler on the back is too small and doesn't balance out the long hood and hood scoop.

24. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

Why? Have you seen the average size of your fellow Americans? The JDM STi seat compared to USDM for the GD chassis are night and day. I'm not small and I fit perfectly into the JDM seat.

If people on average weighed less vehicles could be smaller and still feel comfortable. You would think with gas being just under $4/gallon people would want more small cars, but no because CVT.

25. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

its too big and too luxurious, i liked the rawness of the wrx
    but i love that its twin scroll, direct injected, and the 6 speed tranny

the 2.5 should make great numbers

26. outbacksprt

outbacksprt Member

*cough* yes *cough* oh.. excuse me had something stuck..:rofl:

Sadly the correct answer for that is most likely. They are doing the same turbo setup as the old 2010 legacy GT's which means the turbo will be a gravity fed turbo.. supposedly is what I'm hearing down the line for new model update class.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  27. nygiant

nygiant Member

1. Most Americans are rather large. I have an 08 and my cousin (who is rather large himself) always complains how my car is too small and he can't fit comfortably in the passenger seat. Well I'm sorry my car isn't the same size as the expedition he's got...

2. The bigger is better mentality - always trying to one-up the previous gen of cars by making it bigger and more spacious

3. Crash ratings/requirements are supersizing vehicles

4. ....I'm sure the list can go on

every new gen the wrx has gotten bigger...and I'm sure it will continue

28. What 2.5? Are you assuming that the STI is going to keep the 2.5 while the WRX is going back to a 2.0?

29. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

30. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

[​IMG]

Yes? I think yes. Yes.

31. nygiant

nygiant Member

holy shiz

32. longfury

longfury Active Member

The STI will probably get a 2.5L version of the new WRX's 2.0L based on what I have read. I would think that 330+ hp and over 300 torque should be expected.

I just hope the tune is better and the internals stronger than the EJ it replaces(for the WRX and the STI). Long term reliability of Subaru's turbo engines (even in stock form) worries me and is one reason why I dumped my STI(It had a reflash but no other mods).

33. Manufacturers almost always make a car bigger every time they come out with a new model until they have to come out with a new model to fill the gap that it used to fill.I work for Toyota and it would be easy to give multiple examples of when this happen.Corolla is now the size of original Camry so we got the Yaris.The Rav4 is now the size of the original highlander and until last year had a v6 option.etc etc.

34. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

Now that I like.

35. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Really dig that STi concept but the question remains about the engine. Will it be a FA25 or a EJ25 and will the retarded ringland issue be corrected? Only time will tell.

36. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Also guys the 6 speed in the new WRX is probably still in a 5 speed case like the Impreza was. Waiting on pics of the actual transmission.

37. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

This looks so much better than the WRX. Still don't really like either. They look like the front end of a Ford, with the lip of a Lexus, body of a Civic and not really sure about the back end... :|

38. Deke

Deke Active Member

The front fascia and interior might be my favorite yet. I'm not wild about the back half of the car, but I'm waiting to see one in person a few times before passing too much judgement.

Pretty much every new WRX/STI is met with initial meh, but it tends to grow on people.

39. Looks like an STi you would catch Master Chief in...lol

40. nygiant

nygiant Member

not really happy that they killed the trademark boxer sound

[youtube]HHBZX7ZAWfU[/youtube]

41. longfury

longfury Active Member

It is hard to tell what it sounds like really. It could simply be the stock mufflers making it sound like that.

Edit: I should watch the full video before typing. It doesn't sound bad though for a stock exhaust.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  42. jchon3

jchon3 Supporting Member

wow, that actually sounds a lot better than i remember my WRX sounding stock

43. Deke

Deke Active Member

That was a pretty glowing review. As I figured, I like the way it looks better in action. I did not, however, realize they weren't doing a wagon version (if I understood the video correctly). I just figured it hadn't been unveiled yet. That's kind of a bummer.

44. longfury

longfury Active Member

No hatch. No wagon. This gen of WRX/STI will be sedan only.

45. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

So glad I bought my 5-door this year... Not a fan of how the car looks like a corolla with a hood scoop.

46. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Looks like an Evo if you paint the middle section black.
    [​IMG]

47. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Now that you put that side to side... :|

48. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Original eh? LOL

49. Matt

the black part is a photoshop...