5 Speed Weak Points

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by liltoua, Sep 26, 2014.

1. liltoua

liltoua Member

I don't have a 5 speed anymore but I was just curious when I came across this new product that Moore Performance came out with. It's marketed to strengthen up the 5 speed transmission with just a bolt on plate. I'm sure those guys know what their doing, but is the weak point of the 5 speed tranny going to be fixed by a plate? Anyways for you 5 speed people this might be something to look into.

[​IMG]

Discuss....

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  2. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Oh the good ol case flex discussion. It may help some but not by much. Most 5 speed failures are driver error....slamming gears, launching on non-preloaded gears, etc. I've seen 6 speeds shatter gears on several occasions.

3. liltoua

liltoua Member

Yea that's what I was thinking too. I haven't done much research, but everyone knows that the 5 speeds are glass transmission. What really is the weak point of the 5 speeds? Is it the case itself or the gears or just a combination of things.

4. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

The gears....they are tiny. The 6 speed gear teeth are as well but the ratios are tighter. However flex could contribute since the 6 speeds are wrapped in that iron band.

Here's a pic of my old 5 speed
    [​IMG]

5. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

6. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Didn't the 08+ wrx have legacy gears?

7. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

Damn that thing is a monster. :eek3:

8. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

11+'s did apparently...and some say the 08 and ups did too. There wasn't any real proof of that though. All I know is that they were stronger than the previous 5 speeds. Case flexing is an issue but most 5 speeds break from hard launching or using FFS on the Cobb.

I rev matched in daily driving and never FFS'ed. My 5 speed was rock solid. Never one issue at 430 ft lbs. ;)

Edited to add: I was running a 6 puck sprung from ACT as well. The ACT sprung plate clutch wouldn't hold 3rd at WOT. Transmission had 64k miles on it when I sold it to it's now happy owner. From 22k up it was running at least 380 ft lbs.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  9. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

The LGT 5 spd was stronger....I made a ton of power in mine and it held up fine. I believe that 5-spd is still running in a RS Coupe.

10. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

My Legacy trans has held my power just fine. I did think about this brace but didn't think it was worth it.