$50 paint job comments...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by moose, May 16, 2006.

1. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

For those who are curious about this...

I did 4 coats on the hood. Wet sanded wtih 600 grit after coats 2 and 4. Unfortunately I had a fair amount of orange peel at that point; really no worse than my stock GM paint on the '97 Formula, but it bothered me. 400 grit wet didn't suffice to smooth it out, so I ended up going to town with 320 dry, then 400 wet and 600 wet. The end result is smooth and the reflections are nice and sharp instead of all uneven and orange peel-y. Unfortunately I effectively sanded off two coats to get back to a smooth surface, so I have some more work to do.

I think where I went wrong was not thinning the paint sufficiently. It really needs to be at almost water-like consistency when applying.

But, this is definitely a do-able thing. I bet that once I get all the coats on and lay them down thin enough I will need to do much less sanding to get a good quality end product.

There's my $.02 so far for those interested in the progress. :)

2. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

All talk, no pictures. What gives :mad:

3. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

yeah man... titty-wop :D

if u can, please post pics of the different stages in the process with that super camera of urs

4. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

bah..

5. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

pics!!! I want to eventually paint my crx a non-ghetto color.

--
    Brian

6. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

I am taking pics, will probably post a more comprehensive writeup once the hood is done... it's my 'test piece' since it has a large flat area and will definitely uncover any flaws in the process.

Pretty fun learning body work. Repaired a couple cracks in the grille and it turned out very nicely. Next up is working a slide hammer to yank a large dent out of the fender followed by bondoing and prepping that area.

7. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Making progress... the spill on the bumper is from wetsanding, not overpainting. I'll repaint the bumpers anyway, so not too worried. :)

[​IMG]

8. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Looks good in the pic. Have you looked at any of the spray on clear coats?

After you've got it very fine I'm sure a clay bar would work well to smooth it all out a bit more.

9. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

No clear is really needed with this paint, but some people on the Mopar board are experimenting with it to see what the results are like.

10. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

Mopar board? Do you have or work on Dodge/Chrystler cars too?

11. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Nope, just came across a link to it from some other car site. It's where the $50 paint job discussion started, and has like 50 pages of it.