70's Motorcycle

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BKiller, Aug 25, 2011.

1. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

I know there are some motorcycle guys here so I thought I would share my new toy.
    I bought this 1977 Yamaha RD400 2-stroke back in February with the plans to make it more cafe style and have something to buzz around on.
    [​IMG]

The build took quite a bit longer than anticipated after I took it almost down to the frame. Every bearing and vital part was replaced on the way to making a reliable bike. I swapped out the cast wheels for some old school spokes instead.
    I finally got to ride it to work this week for the first time. Such a different experience then riding a modern motorcycle. It is so light and small it is almost like throwing around a dirtbike.
    Being on a two-stroke on the street is fun. People don't seem to appreciate my smoke screen though!
    Here it is parked at work.
    [​IMG]

2. nygiant

nygiant Member

nice bike man :) good job on the rebuild

3. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

My boss was actually talking to me this morning about buying an old junker bike and fixing it up. Would you mind sharing how much it cost to fix up this bike?

4. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

I paid $700 for the bike when I bought it.
    I spent about $2400 on the rebuild but I could have done it for quite a bit cheaper if I would have stuck with the original wheels and not bought some "fancy stuff" like rear-sets, cafe seat, etc..
    I was really on the fence when I bought this bike about buying this or a Honda CB fourstroke of some size. I still might build a CB now that this is done.

5. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Nice! I want to build a cafe racer. Still kicking myself for not buying breel's when he had it and bought a 6 speed swap instead

6. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

wow, looks brand new.