93gcsedan's 95 coupe!

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by Cory, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Cory

Cory Member

Cory's 95 coupe!

I decided to make my members journal.

A little history to catch every one up to speed. I was working on a 93 impreza. I got about half way sanding the car down and getting the engine bay painted.

I ran across a 95 impreza coupe on craigslist out of state in North Carolina. I contacted the owner of the car and asked if there was any interest in the car and he told me that there was alot of interest.
    The kicker was it wasn't running. I had some business to do in that state in a few weeks. I was transported by the company I am with and was with them for the weekend.
    My sister lives in NC and picked me up to go look at the car. Now, I had no way to get home but to get the car running and drive it from NC to my home in Georgia. I meet with the guy and look at the car and began working on the car. In about an hour I actually got the car to start and run! Before I even layed eyes on the car the seller and I came to an agreed on the price of $500. When I got the car running the seller lowered the price to $400 for all my hard work!![​IMG] The bad thing is that I left a 12am and drove all night as I had to work the next day[​IMG]. I drove all night and got home a 8 in the morning.

Here is a pic of the car when I got it home.
    [​IMG]

---------PLANS---------

Engine/power
    1997 JDM WRX ej20k;
    -----Heads
    -----Intake manifold
    -----wiring harness
    USDM ej205
    -----Short block
    -----Stock crank and STI rods
    -----Stock WRX pistons (For a Comp. ratio of 9:1)
    ARP head studs
    Apex i Power FC w/ commander
    Rotated up pipe. (thanks integroid)
    3" turbo back exhaust. (thanks ghost)
    cx racing FMIC (modded)
    Grimmspeed Phelnolic spacers
    T3/T4 turbo
    Foam pod filter
    Stock 480cc injectors with the fuel pressure a 55psi at idle
    800cc injectors
    Fuel injector adapters (to fit in my factory fuel rails)
    Walbro 255LPH
    44mm wastegate
    Dodge Neon coil pack

DRIVETRAIN
    VER.III wrx/sti 4.44:1 transmission w/ OBX front LSD
    4.44:1 LSD (pretty sure it is a suretrac)
    Exedy 12.5lbs. lightweight flywheel
    Short throw shifter
    solid shifter bushings
    Stage 3 kevalar clutch

SUSPENSION/BRAKES
    K-sport coilovers
    Front and rear strut tower bars
    WRX front lower control arms for a wider front stance
    WRX 20mm rear sway bar.
    Grimmspeed Master cylinder brace
    Goodridge Stainless Steel brake lines

VIDEO
    [youtube]uVBKNSki7rs[/youtube]

PICS
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  2. Cory

Cory Member

Comments welcome ;)

3. undrgrndrdr15

undrgrndrdr15 Active Member

so whats in store for the 2.2 if you are changing things up?

4. Cory

Cory Member

Sold it for $600. I bought the car it was in for $500.

5. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Oh was that a closed deck 2.2?

6. Cory

Cory Member

yep.

7. Cory

Cory Member

New for me 257 block will be purchased very soon. I got some parts I have sold to buy parts I most definatly need. Hopefully will be done soon! Will be updating this thread soon with some nice engine pics.

8. Mighty Mouse

Mighty Mouse Member

congrats on the find! Way to man up and get it running! For a better price even! Nice! More pics! Sounds like a fun ride! Which K-Sports do you have? I'm running the GR-Specs right now...but looking at switching out soon for something a little more street friendly ;)

9. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

Get the BC Racing Coilovers with 6k/5k springs. They handle quite well and are VERY street friendly.

10. calmnothing

Can't wait to see this thing finished. I want to see what those heads and that setup will put out.

11. Cory

Cory Member

Thanks for the comments guys.

I am not sure on which coilovers I have. I think they are the base model as the shock and rebound adjustment tool comes out and there is only one. I think they ride amazing for a coilover I also have them set on full soft all the way around. I also live on a two mile dirt road so the ride has to be pretty good. I have them on my DD because I have 225's on my RS six spokes and they don't fit with stock suspension and I needed tires on my DD.

I really can't wait to see what my setup will do. I am hoping that it will put some good numbers and have a good power band. I just hope my Ver.III STI trans will hold the power!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  12. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I had 225's on the stock tires with stock suspension with no issues. There should be no reason you couldn't run that.

Also, I can't wait to see the end result on this car!

13. Cory

Cory Member

When I tried to fit the rims and tires on with the stock suspension and the wheel wouldnt turn, even off the ground. So I just threw the K Sports on and went on my merry way.

14. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

dude, that was pretty ballzy to drive that car back after you just got it running. What was the issue that you fixed to get it running again?

15. Cory

Cory Member

I am really not sure, I just undid the harness that goes from the battery to the starter to check if there were any shorts and made sure the harness had good contact on the starter and then it started. The problem was that it didn't crank over, the previous owner changed the starter but it didn't "fix it". I guess the prev. owner didn't tighten down everything and it just wouldn't crank. When talking to the owner over the phone he told me the problem and I diagnosed it as the starter wasn't getting power from the battery. So on my way there I picked up a new battery and got to work.

16. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

good for you man! nice find

17. Cory

Cory Member

Gonna go pick my block up today around 2:00 WOOOHOOOO!!!!

18. Cory

Cory Member

Block is in my possession, pics tomorrow.

19. Cory

Cory Member

Got my block in the garage and started to clean it, I removed the oil pan as it was damaged. I have spares. Removed the windage tray and everything looked really clean.

The nose of the crank was missing the little key way thing so I removed one from another crank I had and I had to JB weld it on there as it would not just stay it and will be cleaning off all the excess JB weld tomorrow after it cures.

Now on the the pics. I decided to throw in some of my other stuff I had.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My ewg
    [​IMG]
    I started to remove the sound deadining from the rear seat area.
    [​IMG]
    The front was stripped to get the harness merged by RamblinWRX.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  20. Cory

Cory Member

Oh yea what years have the problem with the oil pick up failing?

21. b reel

b reel Active Member

04 to the mysterious 07 failure 2.5L, there are quite a few options. There will soon be a few local options coming to market

22. Cory

Cory Member

Is there any way to modifiy the stock pick up to where it won't fail. I have a guy that has a 3,000 hp drag car and numberous other awesome cars. He will be helping me with a few things on this build, and if there is a way to modify it I can have him do it.

23. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Its more common with the 06 pickups. You could go with a wrx pickup and oil pan.

24. Cory

Cory Member

I was doing a little research on the oil pickup tube and I was seeing that the STI had a shrouded can. When I removed the oil pan I saw that my pickup does NOT have a shroud on the pickup can. Any body got some insight on this?

25. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Pics? You could also just go get a new sump tube from the dealership. You shouldn't have any problems as they more than likely fixed the issue even though its the same part number for all STI years.

26. Cory

Cory Member

27. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

you sure its an sti block?

sti sump tube

wrx left, sti right
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  28. Cory

Cory Member

Semi closed block and STI pistons. I got it from All Pro, I don't think they would lie.
    Here is a pic of a 06 WRX piston next to the STI piston. Notice that the WRX piston has a smaller bump in the middle of the piston. So I am pretty sure that I have an STI block.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  29. Cory

Cory Member

With me having a different pickup do I have to worry about failure. I really don't have the money to go for an upgraded one.

30. Cory

Cory Member

I have some JIC Magic FLT-A2 coilovers for 02+ imprezas I need to sell so I can get my 3 angle valve job. Does anyone know what kind of gains I can see with a 3 angle job. I have talked to a few engine builders and they all say it will get good gains all across the board. Can I get someone who has a 3 angle throw some input on this it would be greatly appretiated. Thanks.

31. Cory

Cory Member

Picked up my harness from RamblinWRX tonight. Hopefully all is well with the harness!

32. Momentum

Momentum Member

pm sent on them coilovers

33. Cory

Cory Member

4.444:1 vlsd w/ axels on it way, should be here on monday!

34. Cory

Cory Member

Got my diff! Pics when I can. Had all 4 wisdom teeth removed today.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  35. Cory

Cory Member

4.444:1 vlsd here!

[​IMG]

Also I am not familiar with the ej257's breather system, can anyone tell me what this goes to?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  36. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I cannot answer your question but I did just read through your journal for the first time. Seems like a great project :) Try PMing WJM or Kokopeli about your question.

37. Cory

Cory Member

I am currently looking for a turbo that will net me 300whp. I am thinking a vf39 will get me there. I will have a comp. ratio of 8.5:1. With this comp. ratio I predict there will be minimal lag from a vf39 and EWG. What are you guys thoughts on this set up?

38. calmnothing

Maybe something bigger? TD06 18g 8cm^2? It'll keep you about that power level but have a much wider powerband. Or are you just looking to hit that magical number and be done with it?

39. Cory

Cory Member

I plan on taking it to auto cross events and some track days, so I guess a wide power band would be nice.

40. Cory

Cory Member

Price is an issue as well. My wife is only letting me get $500 out of our tax return so I have to be kind of cheap as I need a clutch as well.

41. Cory

Cory Member

Small update

I am going in a different direction not may people take when tuning their cars. I am going to be running my stock 4 480cc injectors with an additional 2 8**cc injectors. The additional injectors will open up when I go into high boost so I don't run out of fuel. The reason I am not just upgrading the stock injectors is to get reasonable gas mileage and with running large injectors there are a few problems. First there is tuning the idle. Second at low rpms' you have to have to tune the injectors at a low idc (out of their ideal range, like 60% idc) When you want to go "fast" you have to make the injectors suddenly go from 25% idc to 60% and it makes it hard for the injectors to keep up with what the ecu is telling the injectors to do.

42. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

wow this will be a very impressive build
    very nice sleeper!

43. Cory

Cory Member

Finally got a rotated up pipe. Thanks integroid!

[​IMG][​IMG]

44. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Nice...thanks for the block halves. Which turbo is that?

45. Cory

Cory Member

It's just a cheap fleabay turbo. If it blows I'm not at a major loss. But there is a guy that ran pretty much the same turbo on his 1990 legacy wagon and had 375whp tuned by himself. Till he split a cylinder wall.

46. liltoua

liltoua Member

damn that looks great! Good stuff

47. Cory

Cory Member

48. Cory

Cory Member

Some mock up pics. I am going to run in to some clearance problems with the turbo inlet and the header tank (aka coolant tank) I guess I will have to purchase an angled silicone coupler.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  49. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

why not just relocate the coolant tank??

Do you even need it for that turbo??

50. Cory

Cory Member

No I really don't need it but I like the look if it. I also don't want to relocate it. But if I have to I will.