94 GF w/2.5l budget swap

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by ChrisW, Jan 22, 2013.

1. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

94 GF Wagon w/2.5l budget swap

*sold 1/19/14*

Hey all, figured someone may find this interesting so here it is. The car became unreliable in November so I decided to give the 272k sohc Ej18 an overhaul. When I started pricing things out, I decided that I could spend the same amount of time and money(or less) to swap in a 2.5l, so I decided to do that for fun. Details and pics below.

94 GF 5-Speed w/282k on the odometer
    99 DOHC EJ25D longblock from a 99 Outback
    99 EJ25D intake manifold
    94 EJ18 exhaust manifold
    94 EJ18 Engine Harness/Sensors/Coil
    94 EJ18 Throttle body
    94 EJ18 Alternator/PS/AC
    99 Outback Exedy OEM replacement clutch/pressure plate

[​IMG]

Here it is frozen, with a plastidip red junkyard hood. Its ugly in person but looks nice here lol
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  2. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

It took me a while to find the perfect donor. This Outback had relatively low mileage.
    [​IMG]

I was worried at first that the passenger side timing would be destroyed but it was untouched.
    [​IMG]

Took me less than 3 hours to pull it in the junkyard, its easier when you can cut anything in your way. Payed $140 for the assembled long block, this price would have included the PS and Alternator if they hadn't already been taken.
    [​IMG]

Almost everything has to come off of this, to be replaced by the ej18 parts. The only thing I reused from here were the fuel rails, I even reused the fuel lines from the 1.8l manifold.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I regret not taking more pictures, but this is the reassembled frankenblock. Here it has new head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, cam seals, intake manifold and throttle body gaskets, and some other little things I'm forgetting. Notice the coilpack only using 1 bolt, thats one of the million little things that dont exactly match up.
    [​IMG]

Out comes the filthy EJ18
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  3. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

I read that title as 94 girlfriend. I guess it could apply.

4. liltoua

liltoua Member

Nice! Good start

5. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

[​IMG]

Video Link
    In case I didnt embed the video correctly, heres a link.

Here ya go, warm start video. The metal rattle is the exhaust heat shield, it's coming off and getting fixed this weekend.

As far as the clutch is concerned, I've decided that I need to replace the spring that draws the pedal back up, it's been adjusted and is engaging properly now.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  6. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Sounds like it is running well.

7. nygiant

nygiant Member

damn man, i wish i knew how to do everything you just did. i sure would be doin that and driving the car i put together instead of this bs car payment

8. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Ok, got the car up on a lift today, the rattle is coming from the exhaust right behind the last cat. The flange is rusted through and won't seal, meaning I need to replace it from the manifold back.

Does anyone have a cheap NA exhaust they'll sell me? Kinda need a rear diff too, but that's another story.