A question about bolts

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by ChillWill, Jun 10, 2007.

1. ChillWill

ChillWill New Member

I recently had my 06 wrx repaired after an accident through my insurance company. It took some time but I finally got it back but noticed a weird squeaking noise coming from the rear that wasn't there before. I decided not to make a big deal out of it since it was wrecked and would probably have picked up a few weird noises. I decided to swap my springs out today and noticed something odd about one of the bolts on the rear driver's side strut. The instructions said they were supposed to be 19mm for both the bolt and nut where the strut is attached to the knuckle. When I went to undo the top bolt the bolt was 17mm and the nut was 16mm. When I pulled it out it was noticeably thinner than the bottom bolt. The bottom bolt in the picture is the 19mm one that is 3 of the 4 bolts for the rear suspension. The top one is the odd one and has a strange washer or something attached to it. Did the repair shop put the wrong bolt on or am I being paranoid? How likely is it that this was the source of my squeaking noise?

If it is, after all, the wrong bolt I'll probably need to replace it. Are there any Subaru dealerships open on a Sunday? It seems like every Subaru dealership website is hosted from the same place and of course that means they all break when I try to get the the dealership hours of operation page. Any one happen to have a spare one lying around they'd be willing to sell me?

Attached Files:

2. clemsonscooby

clemsonscooby Active Member

Somebody could have put an aftermarket bolt in there unless the new 06's come with them stock. My 03 has a big 19mm bolt stock, but I replaced it with a camber bolt to get more negative camber. Although, the bolt in the picture does not look like a camber bolt, because the thickest part doesn't look like an elipse. GTscoob is selling Ingalls, get a pair off of him to replace it for when you get your alignment.

3. Not factory bolt.They prob used it to fix camber from wreck. Very sloppy if something is bent.. Have them replace with stock bolt and check align to see if it needs more new parts

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  4. Jake

Jake Active Member

^^ what he said. take it back to them. i had to go back and forth with the body shop after i got my car back, then back and forth with the insurance company as well.