Ad valorem

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bixs, Nov 30, 2011.

1. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

Anyone care to clarify this with facts or nod your head.

http://www.cobbtax.org/forms/htmlframe.aspx?mode=content/ad_valorem_taxes.htm&LMparent=255

This basically means within 59 days PRIOR, and any time after?

I'm buying a car, my birthday is December 11th. Regardless of when I actually transfer it I won't have to pay this year, but will have to pay next December, which would be for the next year. Yes?

Anyone have any insight? anything I'm missing? I can wait to do the title until after my birthday, but from what I'm reading there it doesn't matter.

Edit:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I didn't pay ad valorem on my TL when I bought it. they took the sales tax paid on the car.

3. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

I'm not 100% sure...all I know is that I had to pay like $400 for my xb cuz it sat for a while...I was not happy...lol

4. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

first year for the sti, i opened it and started cussing out loud in front of my family. That's about all I know lol.

That was March->Had to pay in December

5. Jake

Jake Active Member

yes this is true. i was always told it was 30 days either side of your bday. in any case happened with the motorcycle and a couple cars i've bought. you just pay the tag fee (if you have anything other than a regular tag), otherwise its free.

in your case, if you buy it before january 11th you won't have to pay tax until 1/11/2013 when you renew

6. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

What is that, like a free gift for it being your birthday?

7. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

Because if I understand that correctly, that means if I buy it on Jan 12th, I have to pay in december 2012

8. Jake

Jake Active Member

correct, but its pro-rated

my tag/tax is part of my parents bday gift to me every year. only time i pay is if i buy a new car outside that window.

9. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

it's 59 in cobb...i bought the tahoe 56 days prior to my birthday, the boat 55 days. Saved me $470

10. 07Ltd#767

this is not true, at least in cobb (different in other counties??) We only do prior to birthday here

11. Jake

Jake Active Member

i would suspect it varies by county, considering the amount of $$ does

12. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

saved me an asston of money on the M5. I wasn't even aware. I had to renew 5 vehicles that day (happy birthday!) and it was $175

13. longfury

longfury Active Member

I saved a nice chunk this year because I got my STI in the window allowed. I don't think it can be after your birthday. The date of purchase has to be on or before your birthday the way it was explained to me.

14. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

It can definitely be after your birthday since I bought my car 3 months after my birthday and didn't pay a dime in ad valorem taxes.

15. longfury

longfury Active Member

But you had paid them on your previous car right?

The tax is for the year to come and not the year that has past on by.

16. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-us; ADR6400L Build/FRG83D; CyanogenMod-7.2.0) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Just chiming in here, my case is like Matt. I bought my sti in March well after my birthday and both the emissions and tag office said I wouldn't have to pay until next year. I'm in Fulton county, also I noticed my ad valorem went up 68bux this year compared to last year :(

17. 07Ltd#767

negative - you guys most likely paid the tax when you originally purchased the car. I'll have to double check, but i believe you only have to get a tag on your birthday. If you buy from a dealership, the tax is lumped in with the "tax, tag, title" part. If you bought private party, you would've had to pay the tax when you went to the tag office to register the car.

18. Jake

Jake Active Member

this.

i have NEVER bought a car from a dealer

19. longfury

longfury Active Member

Well...the dealer collects sales tax but not ad valorem. If you purchase your car near your birthday(30 days or whatever), your sales tax is considered paying your ad velorem taxes. Also something to remember, if you pay those taxes then buy a car a couple of months later and transfer your tag, then your taxes are already paid for that year on that tag. No need to pay again even though the car changed.

I actually went and started reading tax code and law related to ad velorem when the dealer mentioned this to me earlier this year. It is a messed up set of laws honestly(what tax code isn't).

20. 07Ltd#767

also something to note, related but off topic, GA is one of the only states that allows you to transfer taxes already paid on a vehicle if you use the dealership. For example, if you trade in a $20k car and buy a $30k car, you only have to pay $10k in taxes for the new vehicle.

With Ad Valorem, I'm wondering if since the dealership technically owns the car they sell you (before you purchase it), I wonder if there's some loophole saying they've paid the tax until your next birthday, with you getting out of it for the following year if you purchase within 59 days prior to your birthday?

21. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

LOL Ga and their silly taxes.

22. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

A+ contribution. Would read again!

23. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

Outcome:

Would have been $405 for the STI renewal.

Wasn't renewing it, so didn't have to pay that (thank god I didn't send it in right away, although I believe there's forms for a refund on the website). All I had to pay was for tag fee for HHR, $20 (+$20 emissions).

Basically saved $365 this year. :wiggle:

24. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

minus your deductible. :keke:

25. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

Hey it held its value pretty well, so I'm still getting a good sized check from that part. They valued it more than carmax/dealer trade in, so...

26. Jake

Jake Active Member

you buying it back?

27. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

Nope.

28. longfury

longfury Active Member

Most insurances give you the value to replace the car(dealer retail minus a little) with a similar one in terms of age and condition.