Advice needed for this situation...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by techlord, Jul 11, 2007.

1. techlord

techlord Active Member

I may be switching jobs here soon and we just found out that we have another child on the way.

I am curious how the birth situation will be handled by the insurance company change due to the job change? Pre-existing? Keep old ins? Cobra? New ins will not have a problem?

If anyone has had this particular situation or something similar please let me know how this works.

2. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

I thought that pre-existing conditions weren't an issue unless you let insurance slide for something like 60 days... just call your insurance co. and ask.

PS: you have a certain period to accept COBRA and it's retroactive, so while I don't advocate doing this you could hypothetically always fill out the paperwork and mail it in should you find a need for insurance while between jobs...

3. techlord

techlord Active Member

should not be any time between jobs just going from a sub-contractor to a Lockheed employee.

4. mckenzietj

mckenzietj Member

I've done this before. Pregnancy is not a "pre-existing condition". If you have prior health coverage, make your cobra payments without a 30+ day lapse in coverage, the new ins company has to cover it. Also, you usually have 60 days from your termination date to sign up for cobra. The downside is cobra payments are typically pretty hefty. When I changed employers, I had my new company make my $500/month cobra payments until the new insurance picked up as part of my hire agreement. You might want to check out medicaid as well- that way you wouldn't have to make any cobra payments or hospital co-pays, deductibles, etc. (assuming you qualify) Congratulations on your new punkin! (My wife made me say that) How many does this make?

5. techlord

techlord Active Member

This will be the 2nd...

Thanks for the advice like I mentioned earlier it is simply moving to a salaried employee no lapse. If it is not a pre existing condition then all should be okay. I will call the various ins co's that lockheed used tomorrow to find out for sure but it sounds like I should be in the clear.

6. WJM

WJM Banned

Yeah, preggers is not preexisting. We had a fun time going from her insurance, to cobra to mine. Everything was fine. you just have you double check that things got sent to the right insurance company per the date of whatever it was before you pay the copay/deductable/etc.

Congrats BTW!

7. Brian

Brian Active Member

on the job and kiddo!

8. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Hey congrats Rick, I was going to come back out and say hey this afternoon but youre were gone by the time I got a chance.

Matt

9. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

congrats man!

10. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Congrats Bro, unless the insurance company is shady, there shouldn't be any issues, especially coming into a new job and accepting new insurance.

11. techlord

techlord Active Member

Ha ha, if I had known you were back there I would have stepped back there.

Thanks everyone for the congrats...We are extremely happy.

12. FACE

FACE Active Member

congrats on the little one and good luck!

13. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Congratulations Rick :)