Advice on selling car...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BelvnAWD, Jun 25, 2007.

1. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

I need a little advice on prepping my 04 WRX to sell. The front bumper cover has some pretty deep scratches in it, to the point that the paint shop said I would be better off just getting a new cover and having it painted. Additionally, the interior plastic has a few nicks and scratches, but nothing major. I also just passed 60K and have been holding off on the service due to its cost. Mechanically, however, the car is flawless and just about back to stock now. Still has SS break lines, Koni struts/STi springs, but is otherwise stock. The questions is, how much of a return will I get by replacing the front bumper cover (think $500 for the cover and paint) and having the service done ($400-$500). Should I also try to replace the scratched trim pieces? Again, no major gashes, just a few more scratches than one would probably associate with a 2004. Thanks for any advice...

2. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

personally, I would leave the bumper scratch as it is. If I'm a prospective buyer, i'll be more comfortable with scratched bumper than brand-new looking bumper on 60k mile car.

3. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

If you're trading it it likely won't matter. If you're selling it I'd definitely look into getting the scratches fixed and just mention that the service needs to be done--I suspect the buyer will not worry too much about it and it won't be your problem anyway.

Getting something new?

4. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

i think seeing (60k service performed) is a big incentive when I've looked at cars, I'm not sure you'll see the return in cash, but you'll get more inquiries I'd imagine.

And yeah leave the bumper alone, the car has miles on it, it's to be expected to some extent

5. BelvnAWD

What about pricing? 2004 WRX with moonroof, heated seats/ mirrors/ windshield wiper bottle, tinted windows, SS brake lines and Koni adjustable struts, STi Springs? 63,000 miles...

6. JL889

JL889 Pandastic!

What are you looking to buy scott?

7. BelvnAWD

Probably an 07 Miata. I like the S2K, but insurance sucks and I need something with more interior space than the S2K, plus you can't manually disable the S2K airbag.

8. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

i wouldn't advertise any performance mods as in the suspension, but tell them if they ask.

Probably between 18-20k

9. BelvnAWD

Really? KBB seems to indicate high 13's to low 14's for a car in "good" condition which is what I would classify my car as...

10. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

+1 I had some body issues when I traded in the '03 for the '06 and it would have cost me way more to fix it myself. Just my 2c.

Good luck with the purchase!

11. BelvnAWD

Cool, well Edmunds is estimating 11K for a 2004 with my mileage in fair condition. That seems way low to me. I am thinking of taking it by carmax, just to let them do the inspection/make me an offer so I have a better idea of what dealers think its worth...

12. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

hell 11k for an 04? thats really low it seems

13. JL889

JL889 Pandastic!

I gave more than that for Kris's wagon.

14. BelvnAWD

I was hoping to sell it for about 15 or trade it in for about 14,2. Does that seem reasonable?

15. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

I doubt you'll see 14k trade on an '04.

16. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

after what joe said kris got on his bugeye...14k on an 04 seems quite reasonable

17. BelvnAWD

What about sale price? Does closer to 15K sound reasonable? Or closer to 14K?

18. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

I'd say put it up for 16k. Lots of people think their cars are worth their weight in gold--like the 02/03 ones for 18k and crap like that, I mean WTF--but 16k for an '04 should be a decent private party price if it's in good shape. Also gives you some space to go down to 15k and appear generous. ;)

19. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

There's NFW he'll get 18k for it. I paid 21k for my 05 BRAND NEW.

20. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

yeah i see that now, i just did a quick search on autotrader, and the low was 18k but that was with half the miles. I'd say 15k now.

21. Deke

Deke Active Member

Psssh, uh, my bugeye is worth it's weight in gold. :wiggle:

22. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

Just an FYI, any car that has 60k + miles, the dealership trade in value goes straight to "fair condition" no matter what....ask mr. sikes @ sog... plus I've heard this many of times from other dealerships....

23. BelvnAWD

Yeah. that was the KBB "private party" sale price.