Airforce here?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bigb996, Oct 12, 2005.

1. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

Isn't someone or a few guys in the airforce on here? Im getting interested in getting some information about a possible join in the future. thanks!

2. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I was in from 93' to 97' as an mechanic for F-16's stationed in Aviano, Italy...I'd be happy to answer any questions you have...

Chris

3. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

well whats some good solid information for someone who knows nothign?

personally i am facinated with jets, i would love to travel, and get the benefits the military has to offer.

4. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

my father was in for 22 years..doesnt really say much about me, however i too have had the interest in joining the USAF

5. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

im really htinking about it strongly. I am mainly asking myself if i could do it haha.

6. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

you can handle it man. Just gotta think positive. :)

7. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

active duty AF here. E-5 Staff Sergeant currently stationed at Andersen AFB, Guam but moving back to Atlanta in May to be an AF recruiter. how soon are you thinking of joining? if sooner than that...i can hook you up with some cool ass recruiters that won't BS you. also, if you have any questions about the AF...feel free to ask as I'm in tuned with the latest and greatest stuff. holla!

Shane

8. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

My dad served in the navy for a bit in his younger days. He enjoyed it a lot and spent a couple years stationed in southern Spain.

I had planned on doing NROTC at Tech originally (like my dad, his dad, his dad's dad, etc) but figured I'd just concentrate on schoolwork instead.

9. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

yea i think it would be very beneficial......thanks Keith for the uplift:)

Shane, Im not gonna sign up for atleast a year if no a tiny bit longer. I would relaly like to sit down with you when you come back and become a recruiter and get all the lo down. Can you pm me some basic information that i could never after basic. Like how fast can you move up in rank? how long does technical school last? and whats the usual length of your contract and stuff like that....thanks bro

10. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

I spent four years in the Navy and thats another route you could go if you want to play with Jets and Travel. The military did me a world do of good and I enjoyed myself for the most part. The biggest piece of advice that I can give someone looking to go in is that you will get out of it what you put in. If you really want to develop or enhance your work ethic and self discipline, then this is a great opportunuity. If you are willing to put your nose to the grindstone and work when its time to work (and play when its time to play), then you will have a great experience. If you want to go in because you saw the movie "Stealth", you will probably hate every second of your time in.

11. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

Well put Scott. My personal experience with the Air Force has been great. I was 21 going on 22 in 2000 and had no direction or discipline. I was living with my parents at the time in Bowling Green, Ky working at shit jobs like temp jobs. I was fed up of not knowing where I was going to go and be in life. One day, I stopped in to see the recruiter and then bam...a month later I'm at Lackland AFB, San Antonio marching around the base in my BDU's. After BMT (basic military training), I was off to Keesler AFB, Biloxi Ms for my tech school. Being it was a short school, I was off to Holloman AFB, NM for my first duty assignment. Spent 3 1/2 yrs there and loved it. After all, I wouldn't have met my wife If I hadn't gone there.
    Right now I am at Andersen AFB, Guam and can't believe I'm going on 6 yrs, and JUST re-enlisted 4 more to get my assignment at Jonesboro, Ga to become a recruiter. The AF has definately done a lot more good to me, than bad. That's for sure. I'm a few credits away from my associates degree just from the training I've received for my job. And to see my father (25 yrs Navy) watch me march down the drill pad in my service blues after BMT was awesome. To see how proud they were of me. Okay that's my experience w/it.haha Sorry if I bored anyone.

Taken last Feb when I was just promoted. BTW...the SRT-4 is for sell when it gets back this Dec.:p

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  12. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

Brian...here's a pic you'd prolly like. The dude in the gray hair is a B-2 crewchief that works on the plane. He was nice enough to give us a tour. Even got to go inside the cockpit. Was fawkin sweet!

[​IMG]

My friends yellow civic (B18 all motor 13 sec car) sitting in from of an old WWII B-52 on base here in Guam.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  13. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

dude that jet is bad! i heard if you a mechanic sometimes they take you up with them. That would be amazing!

those hatches are HAWT and CLEAN......im gonna give oyu a call soon man. Whens best time normally? also we will definatly chat when you come in December.

14. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

I did 11 years Active Duty AF and was stationed in AK,FL,MS, and Germany, then worked in Aircraft Maintenance on F-16 C's at Andrews AFB,MD at the 113th Fighter Wing for the DC ANG and also VA Army National Guard I did Communications-31-U. The service is a great way to go... just my 2 cents. I was also in Civil Air Patrol from 1976-1979 and Royal Canadian Air Cadets in 1975. I wish I retired, but I think that I may go into the Georgia State Defense Force. When I was in- (1979-1990) things were a lot different than they are now. The military is very lean now. I heard there are only 100,000 Active Duty AF members. Brian, the Guard is a great way to go and also offers state and federal benefits, whereas the Reserves only offers federal benefits. Check it out.

Mark

15. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

thanks for the great info guys! yall rock definatly giving me a good idea of what i should look into and i am gonna continue to relaly research and look at all the benefits. Not just posssibly upgrading to an STI:)

16. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

the closest to the airforce I am is that my both my parents helped design the engine is the F-16 :bigthumb:

17. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

damn Alex...that's bad ass! F-16's are one of the loudest mothers.ha

brian...just take your time when deciding. this is definately a big decision you will make, and it will surely change your life. yeah bro...hit me up whenever.

whats going on Mark? good to hear from ya!

18. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

hey shane what you sellin that SRT for? is it an 04?

19. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

15k for it. (negotiable) its an 03' w/ 29k miles. has a mopar stage 1 upgrade, mopar bov, custom 3" dp to mopar catback w/other mods. know anyone interested??? were only selling it cause we have to in order to buy our house when we move back.

20. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

yea im sure its nice having an srt and an sti though :).......ill put out the word for ya man. Put it in the autotrader and it will sell FAST though. People are always looking for those things.

21. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

thanx bro! yeah i'll do that when we get back in Dec.