Android users unite!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SonicBoom, Aug 27, 2012.

1. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Made a thread on this a while back... but couldn't find it. Just wanting to see what you guys are using.. and if any of you are tinkerers like me.. Rooting and ROM'ing etc. I currently own the OG HTC Evo 4G... But I just ordered the HTC Evo LTE. CAN'T WAIT for the 1.5Ghz dual core and 4.7" screen. Gonna see how long I can go without messing with it. Was also wondering if there were any of you with Sprint LTE phones... wondering how much LTE has been rolled out and in what areas....

2. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Te LTE service sucks. I can't stay connected for more than 5 minutes at the most. The phone is incredible though. I love mine and even had the S3 for a few days and kept the Evo LTE.

3. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^^ Not real hopefull that LTE will be any good... at least any time soon. The whole Wimax debacle didn't give me confidence. I've used 4G about 3 times in the last 2 years... and it was shitty. So, you had the S3 and opted for the Evo LTE instead? What did you like/dislike about each, and what made you chose the Evo?

4. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Ive got the LTEvo on sprint as my personal phone and the GS3 on verizon as my work phone.

Let me tell you man, while the Evo is a great phone, the data speeds are freakin terrible. LTE is slower than 3g somehow.....Sometimes navigation doesnt work due to the terrible 3g, and it definitely cant stream any music unless you have wifi. I miss my Epic 4g touch because the wimax was really fast and stable in my area. Its currently running CM10, even though HTCs newest Sense isnt 1/2 bad.
    My Pros: Screen, metal body feels great in hand, kickstand, audio enhancements.
    My Cons: Carrier, battery not as good as GS3, less ram than GS3.

I find myself using my GS3 instead of the Evo, even for personal calls/web browsing while out and about. Verizon LTE is freaking insane, my best speed test is 38 down and 20 up. The touchwiz overlay is actually bearable this time around, much better than previous iterations. Currently running rooted stock.
    My Pros: Battery Life, camera, ram, carrier.
    My Cons: less bright screen (still very nice), feels a little on the plastic side.

Both phones are great, Im glad I have the chance to use both. I love NFC, I use it a ton, google wallet is pretty neat. Bottom line, youll be happy with either if youre an android nerd. If youre into rooting/roms, when you get the Evo, DO NOT let it take the OTA or youll be on a new HBOOT and possibly screwed (unless you use HTC unlock and void your warranty).

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  5. integroid

^^Like what Chris said about the S3. It felt really cheap to me and just liked the feel and UI of the EVO LTE. I also agree with Chris.....Verizon's LTE is far superior to any other vendor out there offering 4G service. If their family plan pricing was more affordable, I would have switched over. Trying to get my company to make the switch to Verizon as well but I dont think they want to spend the extra $$$.

6. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

I love Andriod but the biggest downfall is the hardware all the devices run on. Andriod OS can't take care of each and every type of hardware out there therefore many phones are lacking. That's the big reason the best Andriods are usually the Google phones.

For this reason alone I'm making the switch back to Apple. AT&T's phone offerings for Android devices really isn't that great.

7. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I loved Verizon... but they are just too expensive. I get a 25% off discount with Sprint and love their all you can eat plans. Wimax is a total bust every time I've tried to use it. Hoping LTE rolls out a little better. To be honest, 3G is fine for me... if I need speed there is usually Wifi available. I don't really care for Samsung... I got my girl the Epic 4G and it is a total turd. OS updates take forever to roll out... HTC was an easy choice for a new rig for me.

8. integroid

Agreed...that is why I am still with Sprint as well. We get a substantial discount through my wife's job so I can't justify spending the money on Verizon. Almost everywhere I go has Wifi now so I dont see the benefit of having LTE.

9. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

MY ATT 4G LTE service is awesome. at the house I'm 25mg down and 15mg up. In good spots around town I'm 50 down and 25 up.

I really like my Samsung Note so far. Some of the updates from app providers have sucked and clearly aren't designed with this phone in mind.

Beth just got the Google Nexus and it is really fast as well. Jelly Bean is really nice, I'll be taking it from her soon as she hates it and wants her Iphone back.

10. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

If I could get my hands on a new Google Nexus phone for $100-200 I'd be all over it and stay with Android.

11. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I think you can buy them from the play store for $200?

12. techlord

techlord Active Member

No problems with att Lte on my skyrocket. Can't even talk on my Verizon work phone! "Can you hear me now?" NO
    For me its a phone first that is why I remain with att. Everything else about them as a company sucks

13. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

FYI... It was between the Nexus and Evo LTE that I've been looking at for the last few weeks. I went the Ebay route because I'm not anywhere near an upgrade. The Nexus can be had for $200. Most of them go for $230 or so.. but if your eBay-fu is strong you can get one for $200. A friend of mine just got his Nexus for $192 shipped.

14. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

They're $350 on the play store.

15. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

was probably an employee perk then

16. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

Just picked up a S3 after being with iPhones since the beginning of smart phones. I had big screen envy and just lengthening the screen (if the rumors are correct) wasn't going to do it for me. I am a complete Apple whore and iOS was starting to feel really stale to me.

The S3 is a great phone and AT&T's 4G is pretty insanely fast and consistent. I have run into bugs here and there that you just wouldn't run into with an iPhone. Can't upload pictures directly to Facebook...Google's annoying way of handling contacts...but overall I am happy.

Thinking about ROM'ing it but can't decide on which one to use.

17. Drowland87

Drowland87 Staff Member Supporting Member

Rob you should be able to upload directly to Facebook. Uninstall Facebook and reinstall it. As far as other bugs, a lot of times with new devices with bugs they need a factory reset and then are fine. To be safe do 2 resets in a row.

18. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Just got my EVO LTE yesterday... Would love to see the comparison with the S3... I know people say its pointless, but if you get time.. Download Quadrant and run a benchmark. New Evo got 5600+, basically blowing everything out of the water. Really haven't tried uploading to FB or anything. But, overall, she's snappy and the screen looks amazing. Supposedly the resolution specs are on par with iPhoney. Funny you mentioned ROM's... I'm going to try REAL hard to leave it stock for a while... I know I lasted about 4 days with my last Evo.... :)

19. rsutton1223

Mid 4000's right now without messing with anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

20. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Picked up an s3 this weekend too. Liking it so far but It''ll take awhile getting used to android.

I think he means from the phones gallery. On the iPhone's you can click on a picture and it'll ask u if u want to upload to fb, the only way I've see to upload from the s3 is from fb itself. Kind of annoying but I'm sure it's just an update away.

21. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Sprint users: Anybody know how well these LTE phones manage the new network?? I have 2 settings, LTE/CDMA or CDMA only... On my OG Evo, if I put Wimax on, it tanked the battery FAST. On the new Evo, leaving it on LTE/CDMA doesn't seem to do that, even though I'm not getting LTE at my work... I've also noticed that 3G shuts off completly when Wifi is in use, which is cool...

22. rsutton1223

No it was actually an error I was getting. It went away after a rooted. All is good now. I just wish there were more ROMs for the i 747

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2