Andy @ Killshot

Discussion in 'Product & Service Reviews' started by EJRex, Sep 8, 2010.

1. EJRex

EJRex Member

Some of you guys remember when I broke 2nd gear in my 04 wrx.. well I didn't have enough for PPGs, didn't want a 6 speed since I drag race, so Andy gave me a good price on a set of LGT 1-4 gears and rebuilt/installed the trans, and even came and picked the car up from my house in Alabama!

Just wanted to say the job was well done.. the trans shifts smooth with no play, and the better ratios of the LGT gears allow for a little more time in the powerband, as well as a little more speed.

Of course we all know that LGT gears are not a big upgrade, but the gears are thicker than both wrx and RA gears, and have the same ratios as the PPG drag gears (1-4).

That being said, just wanted to give props to Killshot, Andy and Mike. Both guys are easy going and don't mind answering any questionsor helping in any way. They've definitely earned my business. :cool:

2. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Andy sure seems to know his transmissions :) He was very cool when I met him.

3. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

Sweet, wonder if the LGT gears are better than my 6 speed. Might have to get them to work on mine soon.

4. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Define better. Stronger no. Better ratios possibly.

5. b reel

b reel Active Member

the gears aren't interchangeable between transmissions.

6. EJRex

EJRex Member

If you mean the 6 speed, then correct. If you mean the wrx and lgt, yes they are completely interchangeable.. that's what I had done.

The 1-3 ratios are definitely better (longer) than both the 5 and 6 speed wrx/sti. Here's a comparison between the late 03+ wrx and 05+ lgt gears..

[​IMG]

As you can, 1st gear is slightly thicker, but 2nd is almost double the tooth thickness.. 3rd is also like that, but I think 4-5 are the same.

7. b reel

b reel Active Member

Oh trust me, I know a little about transmissions from personal experience. Andy will be getting mine for a refresh real soon.

8. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Maybe that is why my LGT tranny held up:)

9. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

EJ saved me from clarifying :)

10. b reel

b reel Active Member

I think the key advantage is the tooth profile with the LGT gearset. I would think an outback fully loaded would put considerable strain on the likes of the 02-03 WRX 5-spd hence the better gearset.

11. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

Would they fit in the 6 speed trans? Major mods need to be done?

That's cool that the LGT will work in the 5 speed wrx trans.

12. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

No, the LGT 5mt gears would not fit into a sti 6-speed tranny

13. motomark

motomark Loudest fuel pump Tucker Supporting Member

Maybe Eddie had a magical tranny built by the best FHI employees ever.

I sure hope they built mine, too. LOL.

I am frightened at what happens next on my car but Mike will be tuning mine with limited TQ...

Too many horror stories on LegacyGT.com once people start going north of 350WTQ. FWIW- the LGT gearsets do seem to be pretty robust up to ~350WTQ which seems to indicate they are a significant improvement over WRX 5 speeds.

14. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

How many of those horror stories had owners that don't know how to properly drive a manual?

15. b reel

b reel Active Member

Mine was on a missed shift at the strip, no problems till pulling out into traffic on 19/41 heading home. But I fixed that, and Andy will make it even better soon.

16. motomark

motomark Loudest fuel pump Tucker Supporting Member

Coolrex- abuse/misuse is certainly a big question mark. However, the LegacyGT demographic is not generally the rev it to 5K and sidestep it demographic and there are more than a few people with broken 3rd gears.

Let's just say I prefer to be conservative vs having an impressive wall of TQ on my dyno sheet if it keeps the price of a 6 speed swap in my 401K.

17. b reel

b reel Active Member

broken third usually means someone's wife downshifted because the asshat in the Honda was pulling away...

18. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

lulz.

19. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Lol. Just one more reason I am glad we got the electronic 5 speed auto for Deborah.

20. EJRex

EJRex Member

Yeah I know I'm on borrowed time, but this was better than what I had, and to get by, until I can afford a PPG or ProGear set.

21. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Glad it is holding up well for you! We have several customers on that clutch disk now that Andy has installed and have had zero complaints.