anti-lift kit on BRZ

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by mokinbird87, Jun 30, 2015.

1. mokinbird87

mokinbird87 Active Member

has anyone done it on the BRZ platform? I remember this mod being a pretty good one that killed understeer on older subaru platforms...

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

if you have understeer on a RWD platform...you're doing something wrong.

3. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Nope. The BRZ/FSRs both can plow pretty good. I watch it happen most weekends.

4. mokinbird87

with my butterfingered driving skills I`m spending a lot of time correcting the oversteer at the track, but the car is set up for understeer naturally.

5. Matt

however, you're running a different suspension, so it's not really set up for understeer any longer.

6. mokinbird87

havent been to the track after new goodies but i hope the car will be more neutral. everything else on the suspension is still stock lol. cant make up my mind on coilovers... If I had all the money in the world I would just slap the Penske on and call it a day...

7. Matt

welcome to 2+ years ago. that thread was such a cluster.

just get the RCE T2's and call it done

8. mokinbird87

so far i like the Ohlins DFV, but some friens of mine doing active testing at the track always try and sway me into Tein SRC...

9. Matt

I won't respect you if you go with TEIN.

10. mokinbird87

that`s what i thought too but look closely at the Super Racing Circuit line up. I know a lot of inside info if you want in.

Let`s just say, the BRZ i drove in was 10k/12k but it feels like 400/400lbs :naughty:

11. TURBOH4

TURBOH4 Member

From what I understand the BRZ has slightly different suspension than the FR-S; but only just. Take the following with a grain of salt:

I had an FR-S and I found that understeer was seldom an issue; and if it was, it was because I was dipping too low in the RPM range. I made sure to keep the engine at 5-5.5K once I was settled in the corner and that proved very helpful.

Think of it almost like a jet ski...the car wants you to steer it with the throttle.

Side note: I wish Cobb would make an AP3 for the FRS/BRZ. I know it's N/A but I think even an OTS tune would do that engine wonders.

12. mokinbird87

yup. fr-s has stiffer rear springs for more oversteer.

with my alignment setting, understeer is less of an issue, but i was just wondering how much of an effect the ALK would have. for example, steering rack bushings on the wrx was night/day whereas on the brz, not so much.

i`m tuned on ecutek with tomei uel header and the car feels much better. one vendor here in SoCal just broke 200whp with a header and a tune on 91 octane.. mind you, $1500 hand made header :0

13. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

Practice driving techniques.

14. mokinbird87

Robb, everyone knows I need more seat time. that`s not the point here. My main question is, how much of a difference will the ALK make on the BRZ platform vs the impreza platform.

15. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

Look...I don't mean to be harsh...but you must have better driver feel than most pro race drivers I know just without the driving skill. The "the supercharger added too much weight to the front end" type posts are what set it off. It didn't change the characteristics of the car nearly as much as you want to believe. More than likely...the extra power was pushing you deeper in the corner so your braking and throttle zones were off.

I very well remember your "feedback" on the whole coilover discussion from the WRX days. You were the complete opposite from all of the trusted drivers in the industry.

The Impreza platform has AWD push that it fights from day one. The BRZ has playful oversteer with the right throttle modulation. If you are braking late and not taking corners correctly...you can make the car push but that is driving technique and not parts.

You wanted feedback? That is it. Getting an ALK for the BRZ will not solve your problem and there is a reason you don't see a lot of them out there...or for any RWD platform for that reason.

Sway bar adjustments would make a more dramatic effect anyway and not make you jump classes in Auto-X.

16. mokinbird87

I fully understand I need to work on my driving technique, but you should go drive a BRZ with the Innovate supercharger kit without any suspension work and you tell me if you need to be a "pro" driver to tell that it`s front heavy.

I`m not trying to "fix" anything here. I`m also not setting my car up for the fastest lap times. I`m setting it up to have a good feel/feedback.

Anyways, I appreciate your judgement of my driving skills.

17. TURBOH4

TURBOH4 Member

More oversteer, sure. However, the BRZ is also tail-happy and what I as ultimately getting at is that your driving technique is what needs a little work, not the car itself.

Trust me, the car is understeering because you're driving it wrong...no offense.

18. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Seat time and then add sway bars.

Find your local SCCA autox event and find a CS (the street class for the BRZ) driver that is doing well in the class to ride along and tell you what you are doing wrong.

Learn to drive the car before heavily modifying the suspension.
    1. You'll be a better driver once learning the stock car
    2. You'll have a better idea of what the car needs to handle the way your style dictates.
    3. When you combine #1 and #2 you'll be MUCH faster than someone who only did #1 or #2.