Any dart players here?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SonicBoom, Dec 14, 2008.

1. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Wondering if anyone on here plays darts and might have some info for me.. I'm currently looking to get a new set of darts, and have allways gone with Walmart specials in the past.. looking to step it up... My questions are:

1) are there any dart stores in the Atlanta/Alpharetta area? I have searched and only found them at walmart and some local bars(Mazzie's) has them.. Looking for an better selection...
    2) are there any advantages to the darts weight, other than personal preference? I use 24 or 25 grams, wondering if I should go heavier since I'm a big guy.
    3) I've tried the hammer-head style darts and hated them, and tried the darts with the rotating stems.. also hated them. Anyone use these with success and can tell me their better?
    4) Looks like the prices I've found online go up in relation to the darts Tungsten content.. 80-95%.. Whats the deal with this? what are the advantages to the higher content?

I consider myself to be a decent player(a little inconsistant at times), and my gf has greatly improved and keeps me on my toes as of late... When I go back to working regular dayshift soon, we're looking to maybe join a dart league.. or at least host a G2G with a few people who like to play (and drink!)... I know there's drinkers here, any dart players???

2. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Self bump.. No dart players on here? Out of all the drinkers, ex-military, and college folk... no one throws? C'mon ;)

3. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Lol, I never thought about it as a game, just something you do for fun in a bar. There is a store in Discover Mills Mall that has alot of games, like Poker, cards, darts, etc. I just can't think of the name of it.

4. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^^ Let me know if you remember the name of that store.. google and such aren't yielding too many results for local dart shops..

5. pankopp

pankopp Member

Hey,

big dart player here... but mostly just basement/drinking casual games. But my darts i got from Dicks Sporting Goods. They are 95% Tungsten made by i think 'Dart World'. I will confirm all this when i get home tonight. The reason to get tungsten darts is that tungsten is a very dense metal, thus allowing the body of the dart to be much smaller but also yield the heavy weight that you are looking for. I think my set is either 29 or 30 grams. They were the heaviest that I could find without buying online.

I agree with you on the rotating shafts. they are garbage, they do keep your flights in better shape by rotating when struck by another dart but they feel awkward... stick to solid Aluminum, you may bend some of the flight holders if it gets a direct hit from other darts; but they are cheap and feel good.

Flights are your choice, whatever looks good and depending on your throwing style you can buy flights with varying surface area dimesions. I used to have some very large flights but they got destroyed by other darts.

I will check on the specs of my set and let you know.

Dont buy from Mazzies, way too expensive for what they sell... thats one of the only bars that has a real dedicated section for darts.

Hopefully this will help.

6. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Good to find another player... You use 29g's?? thats seems really heavy... I use 23g's right now, but was gonna try maybe 26 or 27. I found a local dart shop(kinda local, Cumming) that I'm gonna check out soon that has a huge selection.. the website is Atlantadarts.com ... I'm hoping they have it set up so you can try some out. Plus the owner really seemed to know what he was talking about, which is a plus. I too am just a bar/home player while drinking a beer or 10.. I like Cricket the best, 301 is too boring for me.. We should hook up sometime, my girl is pretty good too.. I have a nice set-up or we could also play at the North River tavern.

7. cleanmachine

cleanmachine Member

I used to be a big dart player when I was younger. My dad owned a bar so I grew up in that place. I used to huzzle people at darts b/c people didn't expect a younger fellow to be any good. It has been a while since I played so I can't relate to your specifics on darts. I may still have the set i got from the old Service Merchandise (remember that store, what a great place: was sorry to see it close) now Wild Bills Night Club.

Anyway if you do end up having a get together around darts I'd be interested.