Any Heating and Cooling Techs on here...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BelvnAWD, Jul 2, 2008.

1. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

One of our central AC units died! We are leaning toward getting a new unit instead of replacing the parts on the old one as it is a 10 seer unit. The company we normally use was quoting somewhere in the "$2600 range" for a new 13 seer unit. Does this seem right? Anyways to do this cheaper? Thanks in advance for any answers....

2. AXLEJOHNSON

AXLEJOHNSON Member

I am, I work for a wholesaler now. PM me with the tonnage, and I promise you I will be cheaper, much cheaper.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  3. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

2 minute response time...thats nice lol

4. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

If you are going to buy a whole new AC unit, don't buy a unit that uses R-22. Remember R-12 and how that is illegal to make now? That is what is happening with R-22. In 2010 there can be no more equipment made that uses R-22. The average life span of a well cared for split system (standard residential system) is 8-10 years. So if anything breaks or if you spring a refrigerant leak, there is a good chance that R-22 parts and refrigerant will become very expensive in the near future. I work for a commercial HVAC Subcontractor and Engineering firm and we will always tell people not buy R-22 split systems anymore. The new refrigerant is R410a. The copper lines between the indoor and the outdoor unit have to be sized bigger for the new refrigerant as well.

Some R410 units are competitively priced with R-22 units, and some or not. It sounds like price is a factor here, but this refrigerant switch is just something to think about...

5. BelvnAWD

I have seen a few units that do both (R-22 and 410) on a wholesaler site. Thoughts?

6. AXLEJOHNSON

AXLEJOHNSON Member

R-410a will be taking over the market here in the next 5 years, but I think right now an R22 system is still a sound option. R-410a is more difficult to work with, and a vast majority of residential contractors are still not familiar or certified to use it. I am certified for R-410a and the pressures that it runs at are higher and have less tolerance for operating ranges.

7. caseyfoster

caseyfoster Member

alexjohnson knows how to use Wikipedia @_@ haha jk

8. AXLEJOHNSON

AXLEJOHNSON Member

Haha, remember when your heat went out and you called me? I was there in about 20 minutes, and probably saved your mom a lot of money.

9. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

yeah what's the compressor head on R410? Some guys at work were talking about it being much higher

we run R717 at work :), low side around 28#, high side about 140# depending on outside temps

<-- industrial refrigeration guy

edit: where do you get your handling license in this state at?

10. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

^^^ That is absolutely true. It is kind of a gamble. R410 can be a little bit more expensive now, but there is chance the R22 can be really expensive in a couple of years. R12 got ridiculously expensive after it was phased out.

As for the units that can do both I am not sure. It could be a nice option right now in the transition between the two refrigerants, but as stated before it operates on much higher head pressures, the line sets should be different sizes, and R410 it also uses a different lubricating oil than R22. IMHO, I worry that a unit that uses both will end up not working very well doing either. Again, I have not done ANY research into supporting that claim.

11. WJM

WJM Banned

same thing is happening in the auto industry...except this time R134a is going to become 'illegal' and something else that DuPont is going to come up with will be the 'next great thing'...I call BS on it as its just DuPont trying to make money in a legalized monopoly.

Otherwise, I *might* could tell you how to wire a new thermostat to a house...thats it for home HVAC. :rofl:

12. AXLEJOHNSON

AXLEJOHNSON Member

There are no units that use 410a and 22, and if you mix the two refrig. you have a big problem. There are brands that have the same series that have a 410a option and an 22 option, but they have different components to deal with each refrig. I guess you could compare it to an F-250, you can buy a diesel or gasoline version, but to my knowledge there is one that can run both on the same engine.

On another note, if anyone on here ever needs work on their HVAC system, I am always available. That includes upgrades like high efficiency filter system, UV lights.

13. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I should take some pictures of the refrigeration plant. we have around 4000 tons and it runs wide ass open during the summer, 100% load.

8 rotary screw compressors with variable capacity/loading. each has a 4,000VAC 1000Hp motor :)

14. BelvnAWD

I must have seen a unit that had both types, but separately, thanks for the clarification...

15. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

that... is awesome.

16. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

17. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

*whistles* I bet that is worth a pretty penny. Thanks for the pics... That is like monster truck of the refrigeration world.

18. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

oh I also forgot. we also liquefy CO2 using ammonia. have to run the ammonia down into a vacuum to get it that cold. around -11F @ 250psig, somewhere around 10inHg suction on the compressors. shit's cold!

but yeah, 8000HP just to drive the compressors. all the condensers are on the roof and use an evaporation water system to condense the ammonia gas into a liquid.