Any Honda gurus out there?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by yardhippie, Apr 13, 2008.

1. yardhippie

yardhippie Member

So we have a 1994 Honda Civic del Sol 5sp. Its got around 270k on the OD and last year we lost the timing belt. I got it running again, but it failed emissions. Ended up we had to put a new head on it, I also put a new cat, new O2 sensor, spark plugs, exhaust manifold, and other new parts.
    So we go back to the emissions this year and it fails again. They say its the cat.
    Im like WTF! I dropped a pile of money on that thing and now this?

Anyone got any ideas as to why a cat would go bad in a year?

Thanks.

2. What were the numbers?what part did it fail on.?What was too high? hc = unburned fuel,(misfire?), nox = too high combustion temperature, (running too hot?), co = running richer than ideal,

3. JEFFSTI

JEFFSTI Member

move to blairsville ga. you can run open headers! no emissions

4. Jake

Jake Active Member

i know a little about hondas, but ZERO about emissions. as i've never had to deal with them. sorry

5. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

My 89 honda passed with a 218k mile cat, and a tune ECU that makes it run a bit rich sometimes.

As for your issue, I would check all of your grounds, as if you are missing any of them, it can cause the emissions hardware to not work right. I had this issue on my 86 crx, and another side effect of this was that my lights weren't as bright as they should have been. I had forgotten the wire that goes from the top of the motor to the front bulkhead, when I swapped out the clutch. The car would studder in some RPM ranges occasionally. With the ground fixed, it passed emissions AND ran better.

6. EJRex

EJRex Member

^ If it's not wiring, check out your EGR system.

7. yardhippie

yardhippie Member

I will get the number from her. She was supposed to give that too me over the weekend, but Steeplechase madness carried over into a Sunday recovery and she forgot.
    I'll post up as soon as I get them. EGR would be the only other thing I could think off also.

8. yardhippie

yardhippie Member

Ok so I finally got the numbers for the emissions test
    25/25 Test
    Reading Allowable Result
    HC 21 147 PASS
    CO 0.02 0.82 PASS
    NO 2249 1072 FAIL
    rpm 2088 1500-3000 PASS
    CO+CO2 14.1 4 PASS

50/15 Test
    HC 20 152 PASS
    CO 0.01 0.85 PASS
    NO 1819 1186 FAIL
    RPM 1897 1500-3000 PASS
    CO+CO2 14.5 6 PASS

so yea I could throw another $150 at it and hope that got it under control, but last year it was closer and that didnt do it at all. Ended up having the head reworked(bent valves)

Ideas anyone?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  9. Mr. Kidd

Mr. Kidd Member

Advance your timing 5 degrees , put 1 gallon of methanol in the tank, make sure its got new plugs.

youll pass

Or

You can buy a chipped ecu from me an ill guarantee youll pass ;)

10. WJM

WJM Banned

I had issues way back when similar to that, but with a subaru.

What fixed it for me was tuning the timing DOWN about 10 deg. Passed instantly. That was the only change and I was able to change it during the test.

However, I knew that guy well. I really wasn't supposed to be able to do that.

11. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

12. It looks you failed on nox.usu. egr malfunction or possibly cooling system poor performance.,can be too much timing advance.(running lean? excess carbon buildup in combustion chamber/valves))I have known people who retarded the timing and than passed.

13. bjtyson3

bjtyson3 Member

bump for mike's idea

14. yardhippie

yardhippie Member

Well we just have no need for putting an ECU in there. The car's got crazy miles and has more issues than just this one. She only uses it for the commute and drives more conservitive than anyone I've ever met.

That being said, I can check into the EGR fuctions and see what part(s) are old as dirt or if the EGR should be replaced. Turns out we've got an exhaust leak at the manifold/exhaust pipe connection too.:wtc:

So if we pull the timing back 5 -10 degrees is that total time or base? Sounds like a lot for base timing.
    Thanks again. We've got to get it done this week as her Bday was last week and now the tags are out.

15. WJM

WJM Banned

If you change it with the distributor, its base timing. Yes its alot, but it will reduce NOx.

EGR affects NOx under certain load conditions.

16. yardhippie

yardhippie Member

Cool thanks. That's an easy enough thing to try. I cant be confident that the shop that did the head install properly timed the car in the beginning. Im just baffled as to why this shop did the repair, passed it last year, and now its failed again. hell, I bet she hasnt put 10k on it in the last year.

17. Mr. Kidd

Mr. Kidd Member

You are right i typed to fast, i meant to say RETARD the timing

should be 16 BTDC unless its a y8 head (SOHC VTEC EK)

Retard it from there, put 1 gallon meth in the tank, and have at it!

With a chipped ecu i can take run a program called CROME PRO that allows me to take fuel out across the board, disable O2 sensors, and other things.

I used it last week for a buddy at a emissions place, he was ON THE DYNO as i was playing with the ignition and fuel making it pass LOL. THe guy would do a pull an say "fail" then id say hold on, and do it again, finally it passed :)

18. WJM

WJM Banned

that works.

19. yardhippie

yardhippie Member

i read on another forum that carbon build up in the EGR and intake can really kill the emissions test on high milage Hondas. Well, ive never had the intake/injection system cleaned. Seafoam came highly recommended. We're gonna do that tonight and retard the timing. Then retest tomorrow. <crosses fingers>

Does the Seafoam thing make all the smoke like using ATF?

20. yardhippie

yardhippie Member

As an FYI to everyone and follow up:

I followed the directions on the can of Seafoam and put about 1/3 through the brake booster hose with the engine running. Let it sit for 5 minutes and fired it up, wow, just like pouring ATF through one!
    I poured the rest of the bottle in the gas tank and had her drive it for one day before re-testing.
    I didnt touch the timing and it passed with flying colors. Seafoam FTW!

Now for the FAIL:
    She was cruizing through spagetti junction this morning, hydroplaned and kissed the concrete wall. Car is now totaled. The wife is sick, she was the 2nd owner of that car and it was the first "real" thing she ever bought. She's put about all of the miles that are on that car herself and proud of it.
    Here's goodbye to great little car that only recently became a PITA.

21. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

I hope she is ok! Sorry about the car...