Any HVAC technicians in the house?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by techlord, Jul 14, 2015.

1. techlord

techlord Active Member

one of my units is struggling. Shoot me a PM if you can help me out
    Rick

2. orndog

orndog Member

You should provide some details...

3. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Everyone's units are struggling.....it's effing hot. My house won't get cooler than 80 in the middle of the day.

4. techlord

techlord Active Member

Not sure what details are needed. SH28 its cooled it previous years when it was as hot or hotter. It was short freon and had some added a few weeks back and it worked for a few weeks but its probably got a leak but could need a hard start kit as my main unit did a few years back.

Tried Andrew's buddy Chris but I think his phone # changed. anyways just need a tech to make a house call

5. orndog

orndog Member

Ahhh, I thought you wanted help diagnosing. You want a reference/deal. Can't help you there.

6. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

What brand unit you have btw? Just curious as my unit is on it's last legs so it's getting replaced next spring.

7. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I just replaced mine with a Lennox Signature collection model. I was actually just going for the elite line but the distributor was having a sale on the signature collection equivalent of the elite line I was getting so I got the signature line instead. Suppose to be a lot more efficient but should know more in the next few power bills. I have noticed it is a lot quiter than my previous unit.

8. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Around here all the installers are Goodman fanbois. But I gather that Goodman is a poor man's HVAC...I dunno.

One Carrier installer around here I may get an estimate from. I do know that Trane isn't that great from what I have been told (again all heresay).

9. orndog

orndog Member

Goodman is garbage. Cheap, and repaired often. Also, regardless of their seer rating, they are not that efficient.
    Trane and Lennox are both good.

10. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

How about Carrier?

Why is Trane's reputation online so bad then? Maybe I am reading the wrong sites.

11. orndog

orndog Member

Granted I haven't shopped in a while (6 years), but stay away from bottom feeder entry level models.
    I would say a block of ice and a fan would be better than a Goodman. I made the mistake of buying one. Then I moved to an apartment complex that had a mix of them and what appeared to be 20 year old Tranes. The tech was ALWAYS fixing the Goodmans, we had a nice laugh about that. He also hated the Goodmans.