any japanese folks here? or fluent in japanese?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by monk, Sep 21, 2005.

1. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

i've been doing some searching and finally found (i think, i want *you* to confirm) SUBARU in katakana...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  2. RADON

RADON Member

Last edited: Sep 21, 2005
  3. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Perhaps my brother will chime in...If not, PM him (halvdan) and ask.

4. monk

metadata(code) taken from their japan site:
    <META name="keywords" content="スバル,SUBARU,軽,OWNER'S VOICE,オーナー,ボイス,声,R1,R2,PLEO">

i'm guessing that the jap comes first, then the eng, since the data terms end in eng. it appears that all are represented by katakana except for the character preceeding "owner's voice" which appears to be kanji (which would make sense, i would think the chinese had a character for that before japan was japan)

from what i've read "modern" creations or corp entities that will immediately go into translation will usually use katakana.

again i'm not an expert by any strech, but the first katana in the metadata matches the katakana that i found here (the image in the first post): http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Subaru

Last edited: Sep 21, 2005
  5. xjenjenx

xjenjenx Member

that first letter looks like a korean letter that i know. what do the stars on the subaru symbol stand for?

6. Meredith

Meredith Banned

i have no idea if they use katakana or hiragana, but has radon says, most modern things are represented with katakana. But then again they may just always write it in english. I have no idea! Five years of japanese and all i can't remember a thing!

7. monk

jen, the starts represent two things to my knowledge, the pleiades star cluster also known as the seven sisters (part of a few constilations too i think), they also represent the group of companies that fuji heavy ind is comprised of.

mchan, i mentioned the modern reference to katakana ;) ... i really ought to invest in some lessons myself lol.

8. Meredith

Meredith Banned

my bad! gomen! that's what happens when you are having three im conversations plus posting in a forum at the same time. i took most of my lessons at tech and did like a extra half year at small school in vinings at night. i just got too busy to keep up. if i could do it again i would learn one the chinese dialects.

9. RADON

RADON Member

Any foreign word is usually katakana. ie Microsoft, technical terms, etc.

10. monk

pm'd him last night ;)