Any jazz fans here?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by moose, Oct 14, 2005.

1. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Just thought I'd drop this out here in case...

Sunday Jean-Luc Ponty and Stanley Clarke are at the Woodruff.

Next Friday Al DiMeola is at the Variety Playhouse.

February Chick Corea is playing in town...

You can sort of catch Return to Forever in bits and pieces. :rofl:

2. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

Jazz is for elevators

3. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I'm into the older jazz(I like everything except country...)...Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Thelonious Monk etc... Chick and Al Dimeola would be cool to go see, what are the dates????

4. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Coltrane rocks (one of the reasons I play tenor sax)...

DiMeola is 10/21, and Chick Corea sometime in February.

5. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

I saw the Trio last night, it rocked.

I've been a jazz fan for about 13 years hence the screen name. I may go see Chic Korea now that I knwo about it, thanks

In August I saw BB king at chastain

6. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Yeah, pretty amazing performance yesterday, wasn't it? My wife's not big into jazz so she had no idea what to expect. A couple times she leaned over and whispered "I didn't know you COULD do that with a bass". :)

Have listened plenty to Clarke and Ponty in the past, but Fleck was new to me.. amazingly talented player too.

Ponty's violin solo was pretty awe-inspiring as well... overall, I have to give this one an 11/10.

Edit: You going to the DiMeola one Friday?

7. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

I doubt I'll be at the show on Friday.

Where did you guys sit? My wife and I were in the front row on the balcony, dead center. It was like I had my own person 4" tall band in front of my face :) My wife is not a big fan either but she got into the jam. Who's solo did you like the best? For me it was Clark, Ponte and Fleck in that order.

I'd seen a DVD of Bella Fleck live with his band and it was pretty amazing so I was sold when I heard the the concert billing. I have the best of Ponty on my computer and I have several CD's with Clarke. so I enjoyed the show a lot, needless to say

Glad someone else is into Jazz, I hope everyone will put down their pop music and listen to something created by real artists. (yes, I am a music snob)

8. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

bela is the man
    Medeski, Martin, and Wood fans here?
    you guys into acid jazz at all?

9. Meredith

Meredith Banned

I used to be a huge jazz fan. Haven't listen to it much lately. I agree, Bela Fleck is awesome. My dad and i would try to go to alot of the local festivals in new york. One year we went to the Newport jazz fest, Tito Puente was there, that was great. Mostly i liked older stuff like Mingus,Coltrane, Billie Holiday and my favorite Dave Brubeck.

10. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

We were in the loge, front (C row) left. Nice view of everything. Did you feel like going back and punching the guy up on the balcony that kept yelling?

I'd have to say that I liked Ponty's solo the best. There was just some serious magic going on there, like he was pulling the soul out of the violin by its strings. :bowdown:

Clarke's solo was great too, but I think his solos in the songs were better. He was just going nuts all over that poor bass; I'm surprised the damn thing wasn't smoking by the time the gig was over. :eek3:

What other jazz do you listen to? I've been enjoying Archie Shepp's "Blue ballads" recently... as well as some Miles and--always--lots of Coltrane (hey, I'm a tenor/soprano sax player, what can I say!). Also Modern Jazz Quartet; I feel like I was probably born a few decades too late missing out on a lot of the really amazing jazz players and performances. (Been listening a lot to Zappa lately and it makes me very sad that I never got to see him play. It's not traditional jazz by any means, but...) And almost forgot to mention Stan Getz, who could really crank out some tunes too...

BTW, you might enjoy a friend's album... he just put it out about a year ago, it's all original jazz/classical piano stuff that is really freakin' good. PM me if you want a link to his stuff. His jazz group (Wild Rice) is also pretty good and nice listening.

11. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

That guy was funny but the best was at the BB King concert me turning around and telling the girl behind me that "everyone can hear you, including BB." We were about 4 rows from the stage and she would NOT shut up about this and that while BB was talking. She had no business being there.

I listen to most of the bee bop area mostly. Monk, Coltrane, Davis, Hancock, Carter, Shorter, etc... I listen to music older then my parents :)

I used to play bass but nothing serious. How often do you play the sax? Hit me up with your friends info, I'm always down for some new music.

Acid jazz is okay, some of it gets annoying but it can be creative and fun too.

Meredith sounds like a good time at the festivals

12. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Miles Davis and Bella Fleck fan here as well. Though, I am not a Jazz fan in general.....

13. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

I've only been playing for a couple years, mostly as a hobby. Don't really play with anybody (yet) but we'll see...

I'll PM you my friend's site.. I think he has some mp3s on there of his stuff.

14. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

used to play jazz trombone in high school, but jazz music is too laid back for me to listen to on a regular basis.

15. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

There's plenty of jazz that's not laid back. :) Listen to Return to Forever's "The musician" if you can find it.

16. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

some jazz is laid back but most will get you pumped. Not it is not death metal ( I used to listed to that before jazz!) but it is very good stuff, really.

Freddie Hubbard "Red Clay" = you going nuts