Any r/c nuts here?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by moose, Apr 26, 2006.

1. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Found some stuff I've had sitting around for a while. Duratrax Nitro-something (Quake?) 1/8 scale 4wd monster truck with controller. Has some decent size pull-start motor. Haven't run in a couple years, but ran great when it did -- the motor was fresh enough that you had to loosen the glow plug a hair to crank it.

Also have a 4-chan controller with a few servos and stuff for a light elec airplane.

Any idea if the truck should be in ok condition still? I don't know if these small motors are affected by just sitting around, or if they should be fine.

Also, if anybody wants this stuff, PM me... doing some house cleaning and trying to get rid of 'stuff' I have sitting around.

2. suby113

suby113 Member

I used to be until my Subaru requests all my money. but I'll Bump for ya thats some decent stuff you have there. I have a RC-10 T-4 electric with all the mods.

3. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

You might want to try starting it. I had a Traxxis Nitro something. It was the first Gas Powered RC available. It ran great at first, then it got to the point where it was impossible to start. I don't know if they made drastic improvements to the Nitro cars in recent years, but they had many problems back in the day.

4. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

yea i was into R/C for a little while..it can get expesive quickly if you keep hitting things :) and keep having to replace parts

5. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Not to mention airplanes.. ugh

6. longfury

longfury Active Member

Well...It depends on how the engine was stored. I can grab one of mine, flush the storage oil out with fuel,prime and start 3 pulls later.

If the engine was stored with out some kind of after run oil then you will have problems. The fuel the cars run is a mix of Methanol,Nitro Methane, and oil. The percentage ont he side of the bottle was the nitro content. The only way to see if it has seized(the Methanol attracts water and it will rust the cylender) is to take out the glow plug and pull on the starter. If it turns over easy then its fine. Add fuel,prime,play.

If you need someone to look at it I can. I still have all my work benches setup. My stuff has been in storage for about 3 years.

I learned all my stuff from a Pro racer. He is out of the hobby now though.

7. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Thanks.. I'll see if it cranks easily. I'm not wanting to get back into it, but if I'm going to sell it to somebody I want to make sure I'm up front as to whether it'll work or need replacement. :)

8. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

wow thats one monster r/c trunk any biddin??

9. longfury

longfury Active Member

My first question would be how much fuel did you run through it? After as few as 2 gallons you need to rebuild the motor. Some can go 4-5 or more. It just depends on how it was built. Traxxas(especially the old ones) did not last too long. 2-3 gallons was as far as she would go. Rebuilding these motors is not hard but it involves baking the engine to get the bearing out.

10. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Probably 1/2 a gallon or so.

11. longfury

longfury Active Member

That was directed to WRXfan420. :)

The only concern with yours is that the piston is seized and won't be able to be broken free.

12. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Honestly I don't know. My dad did all the work on it. He used to owned a Hobby Shop for the first 20 years of my life, and knows more about R/C stuff than most people. A guy around him that owns a R/C Plane store refers his customers to my dad when he doesn't know the answer for something. I would think that my dad knew how to maintain a Gas Engine, however, I don't remember ever seeing him take one apart for cleaning. I don't think he does that with the Plane Engines, which are the same as the car engines.

I have long since been out of the hobby, though I dabble when I go home to visit. My dad recently destroyed my airplane and I am waiting for him to replace it, though I have destroyed enough of his that he shouldn't owe me anything.

13. 04CoorsCan

04CoorsCan Member

If it is seized, just put a few drops of 3n1 oil or something light and let it sit for a while and then try and get it loose. Lord know I have done many airplane engines that way. I used to be huge into the Quickie 500 series (entry level pylon racing) and have got probably 20/25 airplanes, 15+ engines, and about 4 nice computer radios. My 2 older brothers and my dad used to fly as well...you can dump some serious money into that hobby. Actually thinking of flying again since the slot car shop flopped....even joined the AMA again a few weeks ago...UP UP AND AWAY!!!

14. longfury

longfury Active Member

The ground pounders use a go kart track in Woodstock to race on.

www.tfbraceway.com

Sometimes the oil trick works. I need to break out my truck and go play at a BMX track I know of.

15. Brian

Brian Active Member

I've got a 4wd gas buggy, 2wd elec buggy and controller I'll sell for $50.