Any Stamp collectors here?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by techlord, Jan 3, 2010.

1. techlord

techlord Active Member

While cleaning out over the xmas break I found my fathers stamp collection he gave to me over a decade ago. It is not very well organized and OLD as in he stopped collecting when he was a teenager. Most everything is going to be 40 plus years old and there are thousands of stamps from all countries.

Anyways I would like to find a reputable place to get it appraised, or at least share it with someone who know anything about this and get your thoughts. I can't help but think there may be a hidden gem in there but I certainly would not have a clue unless it could talk to me.

anyone?

2. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Check out Robinson coins on the square in Marietta, I think they do stamps as well, or you can go to the stamp collecting society and get them appraised by a reputable dealer

3. techlord

techlord Active Member

I will check them both out, it makes me nervous leaving for an appraisal since I have no clue what is actually there and I am certain it would take some time to go through them all.

4. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Take pictures before you give it up?

5. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

I have the same issue with my coin collection that was started by my grandfather.

6. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I have a NICE coin collection from my grandfather. He found this loot of coins when he was in Germany during WWII. Some of them look old as balls and look like coins from Caesar's time.

I have no clue as to their value and am scared to let anyone appraise them as I wouldn't be able to know what I have. I guess I'd need to get them appraised while I'm there watching the entire thing.

7. techlord

techlord Active Member

no doubt, seriously it would take me a month to photograph them in enough detail to be useful and 2 months to take inventory once I get them back. lol

8. Jake

Jake Active Member

my dad has a small collection. (probly 10,000 stamps). if you're just giving them away i'll take them....

9. My advice, as an art history degree holder with a focus on connoisseurship, is to photograph, document and organize all of the stamps before you take them to anyone. It might seem like a tedious process but if there are some truly valuable stamps in there, it will be well worth it. Then if you want to insure them after the appraisal, you will have everything ready. Most stamp collectors and appraisers are probably very honest but you never know. My friend had her engagement ring sent to an appraiser (it was an antique) and the people switched out the diamond on her. Thank goodness she knew her diamond and had proper documentation and was able to fight to get the original diamond back.

You could always try to take them to Antiques Roadshow. :wiggle:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010