Anybody Recommend a Brake Pad?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by lilsanch, Feb 4, 2016.

1. lilsanch

lilsanch Member

Hi all.

It's about that time to do brakes. Does anyone have any brake pads they would recommend for an '03 wagon? I'm doing all four corners, so cheapish is better.

Looking for a slightly more aggressive pad than OEM.

Anyone have experience with StopTech Street Performance pads?

Thanks

-Matt

2. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I have been a long time Hawk Brake Pad fan, but recently these Project Mu pads have been getting some good reviews.

I've never used them, but stoptech does make a solid product usually.

3. lilsanch

lilsanch Member

After a preliminary googling, it seems prices vary so widely between online vendors for the Project Mu pads that it's hard to get a good idea of what they actually cost. looks to be anyway from 60 to 150 a set, depending on compound. It's a bit on the pricey side (for me), but I like that they're made in Japan, and like that they seem to make pads that reflect what enthusiast drivers look for.

4. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Dana Palmer aka Sparta (Touge Fighter) is the person that I would recommend to get a solid price on them from. He is also local.

He also carries Hawk and Stoptech as well.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  5. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

PM Touge Fighter on here. they're a registered vendor and can get you a good deal on project mu pads.

6. lilsanch

lilsanch Member

Thanks gents I'll do that

7. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

For what it's worth, I have been happy with Hawk. HPS for daily, HP+ for track.
    HPS quiet, not a lot of dust.
    HP+ very squeaky and very dusty.

8. lilsanch

lilsanch Member

I haven't ruled them out yet. Just trying to figure out what's going to give me the best bang for the buck. At the moment, thats the name of the game.

9. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

HP+ Are VERY VERY squeaky and VERY VERY dusty, but a 20 min long track session or mountain run may be alil much for these if you are really going for it. Ask me how I know... lol :coolugh:

For you average joe though HP+ are going to be a great street\track pad if you dont mind dirty wheels and your brakes singing the song of their people to herald your arrival.

HP+ are also still one of the best Auto X pads available because they get to prime temp VERY quickly and have a wicked first bite. This is the reason I have them on my car right now.

10. lilsanch

lilsanch Member

Haha the girlfriend might complain about the noise but those sound like my kind of pads! How's the longevity on those as compared to HPS?

11. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

project mu bforces offer the bite of hp+ with out as much noise

12. lilsanch

lilsanch Member

Good to know! Thanks.

13. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

if you are still mostly daily driving with the occasional spirited mountain run or autox. I honestly would really think before going for HP+. I personally have always used HP+ for about 5 years now, the bite and temperature holding is great, however the sheer amount of dust and squealing they do can be very off putting for a lot of people. I don't mind those trade offs, but my car is usually not my daily driver.

The HP+ will also wear faster than the HPS or similar pads, because yes they will get into temp decently quickly, but nowhere near the more daily friendly HPS. Out of temp they squeal even more, and I'm pretty sure they've grinded the crap out of my rotors faster than less aggressive pads

14. lilsanch

lilsanch Member

Well, when it came down to it, money dictated what I could get so I went with the Stoptech Street Performance pads. Should be here Thursday. I'll let everyone know what I think. Thanks for the input on the Hawk pads though.

15. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

I think the stoptech street pads are great. I have a friend that has been using them for years on his bugeye. When I drove his car they stopped really well and honestly held off fading for a good long while.

16. lilsanch

lilsanch Member

That's what I'm hoping for! They should be fine for as long as I'm running stock power.