Anyone DL'ing Win 7 RC1 today?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BelvnAWD, May 5, 2009.

1. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

I downloaded both the 64 bit and 32 bit versions off Microsoft's website this morning. Will install it on my media pc later today. Apparently its good until March 2010, which should give me plenty of time to decide if I like it or not.

2. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Stupid question.. but this is still beta right? Is it free to try?

3. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Its actually in RC, yes free to try. I got it last week, its pretty stable so far.

4. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I have been running the beta for a couple of months now as a media center pc and as my dev pc at work. It has been very stable for me so far.

5. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Upgrade to RC.

6. longfury

longfury Active Member

The Release Candidate has proven to be more stable than just about any OS Microsoft has ever released.

A RC is a version that a software developer thinks is ready to be released and sends it through the testers again to be sure.

I finally got it installed. Reinstalling windows actually revealed that I have a video card going bad. I could not install an OS at all no matter what version I tried. Now I am video card shopping.

7. BelvnAWD

What are the media center features like? Anyone using it as an extender? If so, how stable is it/ any newer features?

8. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

I am downloading RC 64 bit. I guess i'll have my PC start getting the 32 bit also. I plan on installing it on the same laptop that is running beta Win7. It is definitely stable even in beta. All drivers work off of vista just fine, even nvidia quadro drivers. Need to test and see how it handles photoshop and such.

I MIGHT put it on the gaming PC and dual boot and see how gaming performance is with DX10 (or is it 11)? I forget.

9. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

10. I havent had a chance to mess with it, but I have heard good things so far. Ill test it out later this week on the htpc.

Has anyone tried the 64bit version? Did you run into any problems? If you didnt what is your hardware setup?

11. longfury

longfury Active Member

After discovering a bad video card and replacing it I had no problem with it. I have not had much time to play with it but so far so good.

Abit IP35
    C2D 6750
    4GB DDR2 800
    8600GT (for the install and now I put the kinda bad card back in till I can get a replacement, 8800 GTS640, getting a AMD/ATI HD4770 to replace it)
    320GB SATA HD for the OS
    2 x 1TB hard drives for the data

Nothing real special about my system.

12. FRCFED4

FRCFED4 Member

you got a direct link to the site, im looking now but havent found anything

13. longfury

longfury Active Member

14. blaster

blaster my other ride is your mom Supporting Member

15. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

how does it handle drivers?

16. longfury

longfury Active Member

Most of the major hardware makers have beta Win7 drivers. If they don't, the Vista drivers work.

17. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Just installed Windows 7 64bit a few days ago... Seems pretty awesome so far. Only problem I've found is my Roxio Creator gave an error saying not compatable.. Anyone have a known app I can use for creating CD's etc???

18. BelvnAWD

You should be able to run it in "XP Mode" under Win7...

19. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Why do you need any additional software? All of that is built into Windows 7.

20. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ If your refering to windows media player... I've run into issues trying to use it. As most of my music comes from torrents, they have several different file types that media player has an issue with... If there is more than that, I just havent come across it yet.. Only had 7 installed for a few days.

21. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

How much of my current shit on Vista 32-bit will work on RC 64-bit?

22. longfury

longfury Active Member

All of it should. The 32bit apps run in a 32bit mode on the 64-bit Windows. You should see no performance difference running 32bit apps on 64bit Windows..