Anyone else get tar on their car at RA meet?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ShaneSTI, Dec 12, 2005.

1. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

Was out early this morning cleaning the car when I noticed little black specks from bumper to rear on the car. To me it looks like tar possibly from a trucker, or road construction? Anyone else find this on their car? Tried using meguires final detail, but that didn't work. I know their are some bug/tar removers like turtle wax. What else can I use? WD-40? I know I'll get it off one way or another, but still sux.

2. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

try claybaring it

3. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

give goo gone a shot, i used it a large amount of it on my car to get the butyl rubber crap off after i debadged. I know it softens up most alkyl polymers like tar and it didn't do anything to my paint or clearcoat.

4. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Ive got something in my garage that I use from time to time called "Bug and Tar Remover" it works pretty well on sticky situations like that (no pun intended, of course). I second giving a clay bar a shot.

5. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

mere's car has a bunch on it from the track day a couple of weeks ago at CMP. Last time, we claybar'd it and it was as good as new.

Claybar + fresh coat of wax = happy car

--
    Brian

6. Trey

Trey Active Member

Paint thinner works great!

We used to use the stuff all the time when we detailed cars (at a shop), it won't hurt your paint. Make sure to wax the car after.

7. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

if the thinner has petroleum distillates in it, it will hurt paint

8. BlueBox

BlueBox Member

I picked up a can of Mineral Spirits from Ace to remove chewing gum from my car. I see no reason it wouldn’t work on tar. Just do a small area at at time, wash immediately with soap and then wax that area after cleaning. Apply it with cotton balls or those little cotton pads. Also don’t fire up a cig while using it…
    Note to gum chewers: swallow! or wrap it up and put it in your ashtray. Please don’t toss it out the window on a 90 degree day. It’s really nasty on the side of a car.

9. slpymnky

slpymnky Member

Claybar the car. It works really well on removing stuff.

10. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

thanks for all the suggestions everyone! yeah i think i'm going to go the claybar route. its never been done since i bought it last Feb so it wouldn't hurt anyways. hell i have those damn black dots even on my windows.

11. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

if clay bar doesn't work
    +1 for bug and tar, I couldn't find the name of the stuff Amy from SELOC carries in her trunk, i've seen that work on everything (she has a white car)

also if you ever have nastys (oily stuff) on your windows clay bar works wonders