Anyone else roast their own coffee?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Alex, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I've been roasting my own since Christmas and it's actually a bit more enjoyable than I thought it would be. I've been buying the beans from a coffee shop down the street, Rev Coffee. I'm saving a surprising amount of money, which is a bonus, because this wasn't even a remote thought when I wanted to try roasting my own coffee. To date I think I've roasted after 10 different types of beans and have definitely began to develop a taste for specific regions, etc. I'm drinking a Costa Rica that I roasted last night and it's plain awesome.

Does anyone else roast their own coffee? Would any of homebrewers want to get together to work on a beer that involved some of fresh roasted coffee?

Alex

2. lobelsteve

lobelsteve Member

I have been on Pilon espresso roast whole beans for 5 years.
    I started with a Europiccolo and soon upgraded to a Saeco Vienna. THat was 4 years ago. Since then, I have been happy with my Saeco Incanto Sirius. But after watching the video on the Gaggia Academica, I might be swayed.

Beans are the most important, then the roast.

But without the proper machine, it's all a wash.

3. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I'll take it you don't favor the french press then? :)

4. lobelsteve

lobelsteve Member

French Press is the proper way to make coffee.

I prefer cafe crema (coffee extracted out of an espresso- a super long shot) because it has the gold crema on top and that's where most of the flavors coalesce. So I am hooked on Superautomatics.

http://www.wholelattelove.com/Gaggia/gaggia_accademia.cfm

If I get it, we can throw it on the dyno.