anyone ever "reflow" a laptop?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jt money, Apr 24, 2008.

1. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

like the title says. i have a broken dell laptop thats not under warranty that i think reflowing would fix. i have replaced the laptop so i don't really care if i break it. anyone have experience in this area?

here is a link to the tutorial for a think pad.
    http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=57021

2. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I've done this once or twice, and it is hit or miss. some of the xbox guys do it to fix broken solder pads as well. it's pretty much a crapshoot.

are you sure you have a bad solder connection?

3. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

all was working fine but it used to get really hot. then it started freezing. i had it fixed and the people took everything out and reinstalled but as soon as i got it back and it wasn't on a steady table like the bench they where working on it on, it would freeze up again. like i said i've long since replaced it. it would just be nice to get some of the stuff i had on the hd off or use it as a car pc if i can get it stable again.

4. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

you can get the information off the hard drive easily. you'll have to take it out and plug it up to a working machine and you can extract whatever data you want there. get a 2.5" to 3.5" ATA adapter (Im assuming it's a parallel ata drive) and you can plug it into a desktop. they're about $10.

they are the same electrically, the laptop IDE is 44 pin versus 40/80 for 3.5" drives (extra 4 wires are for power and other things)