Anyone ever used Dr Colorchip?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by superhawk28, Aug 1, 2014.

1. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Like the title says has anyone used Dr Colorchip before? If so what was your impression?

www.drcolorchip.com

2. KGraska

KGraska Member

I've used it before. I had a customer give me his kit when he traded his car in. It's basically just overpriced touch up paint. The "blender" is some mixture of paint thinner and compound in one. The kit isn't terrible....but most car guys will have the stuff in their garage already, just need a little t/u paint.

At the dealership we have a giant box of every color BMW makes. You can get the BMW OEM touch up sticks for 15$ from the dealer. Other manufacturers are even cheaper. Fill the chips with the paint, smear it flat, let the paint harden up in the sun, come back with thinner/compound and wipe excess off. If the chip is very deep you may have to do it a few times. If you have very fine road rash chips, you can thin the paint with a small amount of lacquer thinner to get it down into the rash. Then come back later with compound and buff the excess off by hand. Another trick I like to use is to use a credit card as a squeegee to keep the paint flush with whatever panel you are fixing.

Worst case scenario you wipe the touch up off with thinner and try again. Takes a few times to get the hang of it. If you wipe with thinner to level the chip, the touch up paint gets a little dull. Wait for it to get good and hard then just buff with compound and it'll look perfect.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014