Anyone know about salvage cars?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Demo24, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Demo24

Demo24 Member

I've been eyeing "http://www.ridesafely.com/" now for some time. So I was wondering, do I have to have a dealer license to buy on of their cars? Most of them are pretty darn cheap, and occasionally you get ones that don't appear to have a lot of damage.

Was looking at it today and they have an S2000 there for around 2500, and it appears all thats wrong is that someone took a bat to the top/windshield. For 2500 it would be worth it.

Was thinking that if I didn't need anything special I would look into trying to grab something from there in the summer.

anyone got the info?

2. Hazzard

Hazzard Member

i don't have any first hand experience with it, but one of my friends down here bought a salvaged talon for 200 with the intent to get the damage fixed (replace rear bumper and get a new cover, no frame dmg), have it inspected so he could get a tag for it and then mod the hell out of it. that project ended when he realized that the money and time spent on it wasn't going to be worth it and he found an awd talon that was more cost effective (2500 for the carr with a built engine that just needed to be tuned before his "bolt ons") and all his nifty go fast parts would bolt right up to.

3. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

I bought a salvage s2000 last year and stripped it down, sold everything but the drivetrain. It was fun, and I learned a lot about the car.

As for the car you mentioned, looks interesting, but you won't be able to easily re-title it in GA, unless you know someone in the business that does it for a living.

--
    Brian

4. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

have you tried asking them directly if you need a dealer liscence?

5. Demo24

Demo24 Member

no haven't asked.

I may just abandon the idea, and spend it on my car instead. Just been thinking about it, but when I get to college I won't have any cash to throw at it for at least a year. Probably not the best time to get one.