Anyone know how to use a tap set?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by RamblinWRX, May 21, 2009.

1. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

I finally got a new steering rack for my MR2 and went to bolt it in, got a little tight, pulled 2 bolts out and the threads are stripped or crossthreaded. I imagine the inserts for the brackets need to be tapped out with a 14mm-1.25 tap but i have no idea how to use one or where to get. A six pack is yours for some help. Thanks!

2. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

You can get them at NAPA. I know how to use them reasonably well.

3. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

yep. they are cheap. do you know what thread pitch it is?

I have a 12x1.25 which is for the gear shifter/wheel studs

4. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

You can get them at Home Depot/Lowe's as well.

Take on eof the bolts up there and figure out the thread/pitch and see if they've got one that matches.

5. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

he said he needed a 14x1.25 for his steering rack bolts in an MR2.
    C'mon guys. ;)

6. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

ok, i didn't know if they had individual ones, didn't want to buy a whole set i might use once in a year. I'll be working on it all this weekend if anyone has some free time in the afternoon around buckhead.

7. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

he said he imagines...not that they are. there's a difference ;)

8. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

if the threads are damaged, you will need to either tap the hole for a larger size, or use a helicoil insert to repair them

as far as using a tap, there are a few different kinds also. tapered, bottoming, chaser, etc. if you are going to tap the hole larger, you'll need to drill the hole out to the appropriate size first (USE CUTTING FLUID).

start the tap, make SURE it is square, and slowly work the tap. back it out every so often to clean the shavings, and use plenty of cutting oil in the process. it will make it easier, clean the hole, and make your tap last longer

9. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

They sell individual ones at autozone. Me and Cohen know first hand. The good ones are about $20-30 but the cheap set is only $7

10. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

Ya you're right i dont know the thread pitch, but they are 14mm, i was thinking i probably have to go 1 size larger too. Is the fact these holes are on the bottom of the car in the subframe going to be an issue? I foresee a considerable pain in the ass...

11. SubiNoobi

SubiNoobi Supporting Member

I did a helicoil for the first time, and it wasn't too hard, the hard part is tapping the hole. Just to emphasize what nicad said, go slowly: like 1/2 turn forward, 1/4 turn back and repeat. And yes, use cutting fluid/oil. And BE PATIENT, it takes a while.

Also, you can find out the thread pitch for your bolt by taking it to a hardware store and matching it to a new bolt's threads. I did this and then ordered the recoil (helicoil) set from McMaster/Carr, they have everything.

12. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

helicoil is the best option but you need to buy the kit

if you are sure its 14mm then the next size up will be too large and may have hard time buying taps and hardware.

its easier to get a standard tap if you dont care if its not metric
    you best choice is 5/8-16

13. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

+1 on cutting fluid and half turn in, then quarter back.

Siegel

14. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

you might be able to straighten the threads in there now with the tap. How bad is it?

15. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

because of the position of one behind a coolant line, the bolt went in at an angle and stripped about 4 threads of bolt, went in easy until that.

16. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

Ok ill share with you my trick to tap a hole square to the top face (if there is one)
    1. insert a bolt into the tap only exposing the tip
    2. press the bolt flush to the top face
    3. Start tap down while pressing bolt flush to top face

you wont find above in machinery's handbook