Anyone shave with a straight razor?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cool_____, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I'm contemplating trying a single blade like old school barber shops use. Anyone use them?

[​IMG]

ibimgonnaslicemahneckopen!

2. Jake

Jake Active Member

[​IMG]

it doesn't end well.

3. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Lol. When I go get a haircut I'll get the barber to give me a straight shave. Closer and smoother than any disposable and also lets me go 2 more days without needing another shave. Hence why I'm interested in learning but yeah I'll prolly end up a scarface....lol

4. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Dood i have been looking all over for a place that does a straight razor. The ONLY place i have found charges like 80 bucks to do it and is a fru fru shop. I could thinking of no better ending to itchy scruff the hand lathered shaving cream and a straight razor. Havent done it yet, but if you find a place post up.

5. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Don't think you gonna drive to Conway SC just for a straight shave!

The one here is just a plain jane family barber shop. But the barber that cuts my hair is excellent with a straight razor. When I was shaving my head he even straight bladed my scalp.......oh so refreshing! The lather they use comes out this machine and is very warm and soothing to touch.

6. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I use a double edged safety razor. you won't find much of a difference between that and a straight razor

pair that with a nice glycerin based shave soap, a badger hair brush and you're set

picture for reference:

[​IMG]

I picked up 50 razors a few years ago for $12. they're sharper, last longer, better for your skin, and a fuckton cheaper. mach3 and the like can suck a D. only reason I use the disposables anymore is to shave my saq

7. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

8. blaster

blaster my other ride is your mom Supporting Member

This.

Adding a warm towel on your face and a pre-shave oil to the mix makes a much more enjoyable experience, too, and helps with any hairs that tend to get ingrown.

9. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

where you guys getting your oils and soaps from? I think I'm gonna do the safety razor nicad posted.

10. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

Check the link I posted....

11. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Saw that.....wanted to see other options.

12. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

There is a place in Midtown that does it if you are ever in the area Swine.

13. nygiant

nygiant Member

i shave with clippers and then follow with an electric shaver, or else i get bumps like crazy.

14. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

15. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Damn i butchered the hell out of that sentance.

Ahem, I couldnt think of a better ending to itchy scruff then hand lathered shaving cream and a straight razor.

Whats the name of this place integroid?

16. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Get out. This thread for real men.

17. blaster

blaster my other ride is your mom Supporting Member

I like the lavender soap (in the English tradition where lavender is manly :rofl:) from Art of Shaving, or the L'occitane shave cream, both applied with a badger brush. The lavender oil from AoS is good, too, but now I've got a peppermint something by a company called Anthony and I got it from Bath & Body Works. I like the after shave lotion from L'occitane, too.

I've got to jump through all these hoops whenever I actually shave, or else my face turns into a giant bump.

As evidenced here, I don't usually like to shave…
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  18. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

19. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

I've been thinking about picking up a straight razor/safety razor, but think I might just grow a beard instead

20. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I'm growing one but still have to shave my neck to keep it clean looking. My entire neck will grow a beard if I let it and talk about ITCH!

21. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

try taylor of old bond street for shaving cream. about the best you can get

22. Trey

Trey Active Member

Only certain shops can use a straight razor. They need a special license in the state of GA at least. I asked my barber for them to do it once and they said they couldn't, it was against the law until one of their barbers got licensed.

23. b reel

b reel Active Member