Anyone with a Masters in IT/IS?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BelvnAWD, Jul 29, 2008.

1. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

I am looking into what graduate level programs I might be interested in getting into and am leaning towards an MIS type of degree. The field I am in has a huge dearth of technologically skilled/educated people and it seems like it could create a nice niche for me. Anyways, just looking for any practical experience as to how useful those degrees are in general right now. I would be leaning toward project management rather than a straight up technical MIS degree.

2. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

No.. but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.... Sorry, had to :)

3. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

My wife has a masters in accounting systems and and two undergrads: Accounting and MIS.

She is now a project manager for a global IT team for Philips Medical systems.

PM me specific questions and I'll get you in touch with her.

4. BelvnAWD

Thanks Patrick, will do!

5. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

do not have a masters but have been in IT for about 10 yrs now. any questions...just holler. i'll see what i can do to get the answers for you.

6. BelvnAWD

At this point, I just wonder what the field is like, jobs wise, how much impact a graduate degree would have, etc. What are the hot "areas" in IT/IS right now?

7. cannarella

cannarella Member

I have been in IT for just over 10 years also at the same company since college. Advanced degrees are only good for management type stuff IMO. Since you know you want to do project management it could help. I would possibly hold off on the advanced degree and get some experience in an area you like and then make them pay for your advanced education while you are working. I can try to answer any questions you have also.

Andy

8. BelvnAWD

Thanks Andy, I am looking into management level activities. However, this will be a career field redirection, so while I hope to continue with my current employer, there are no opportunities for me to gain practical experience right now...