Atl Dui Laws

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by emstraumajunke, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Anyone know what happens with 1st offence? My little brother lives up there and my mom heard the the 1st offence is a felony and you automaticly due 12 to 16 months. So needless to say she is freaking. Yea i know drinking and driving is bad and you shouldnt do it, but people do dumb things. and not to come off as an ass please no post on he should get what he desveres and so on. I kknow most people on here arent like that, but i just really dnt want ot read the hate messages. TIA

2. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

if im not mistaken bluelinescooby is a police officer hopefully he will chime in or you could send him a pm..he might have an idea

3. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Is he over 21?

4. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

I doubt everybody who gets busted for DUI gets sentenced to that; there are too many DUI lawyers helping everybody get off easy here.

Be glad it wasn't in Sweden... first offense is something like 30 days in jail, one year without license, and there is NO getting out of that, lawyers or not.

5. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Ill call you later this afternoon.

6. N2BNLOW

N2BNLOW Member

www.criminaldefenseadvice.com/dui.htm

Once ur on this site scroll down to penalties. There pretty good my buddy went by this when he got his dui. The thing that really sucks is he'll have to get SR-22 insurence:wtc: That carp takes some money , and in Georgia you have to pay it 6 months in full. That aint to bad but then again im always broke:rolleyes:

7. Yea hes over 21.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2006
  8. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

over 21 1st off is indeed a 12 month suspenstion
    sum fees alot of it..
    and indeed some jail time..
    u need a good lawyer
    u could use my lawyer he is good.. he is running 3 cases at this time for me..
    1 is domistic case, 2 driving cases..

9. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

i think i have heard you usually get a 24 hrs in jail, it goes on your perm record, and you can have your lawyer get you dui classes and stuff. then you lose the license for like a year.

10. Depends heavily on the circumstances (like everything else), but 1st and 2nd offenses are misdemeanors..... 3rd offense earns you a habitual violator status and is a felony.

1st offense you can generally expect:
    Little bit of jail time (varies)
    12 month suspension (minimum, but work/school permits are available)
    Defensive driving and alcohol and drug awareness classes (at your own expense $$$)
    Anywhere from $2000-$5000 in fines and court costs (plus the cost of an attorney if you provide your own)

The decision to get your own attorney is entirely up to your brother...... if he feels there's cause to dispute it, then by all means go for it. If he plans on pleading guilty it may not be worth the cost. That's his call.... I'm not an attorney and I'm not here to offer legal advice, but if you have any other questions feel free to ask. :)

I wish more places were like that....... Gwinnett Co alone had 81 fatality accidents last year, and IIRC 85-90% of them involved alcohol and/or speeding. It seems like GA's traffic laws are a little "soft" compared to neighboring states, but with most of the metro area's traffic fatality statistics rising from the previous year's, I expect that to start changing.

Plus GSP just placed a big order for police package Dodge Chargers...... I'm so jealous.... :p

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  11. Alex

Isnt Cobbs DUI level something like .02 now? I thought it was statewide, how exactly can the different counties have different BAC levels?

12. Depends on the age...... for regular folks it's still 0.08, for commercial vehicle drivers it's 0.04, and for kiddies under 21 it's 0.02. I'm not aware of counties having their own set limits for BAC.....

You can still be charged with DUI even if you're under 0.08..... There's a charge called DUI Less Safe, it says that even though the person's BAC was lower than the legal limit, the person's behavior or driving habits warrant an arrest because they are less safe than someone who isn't intoxicated. So you can still get a DUI at 0.03 or 0.04, which really is only one or two beers.

13. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Good info. I hadnt heard about the DUI less safe.

14. Goose013

Goose013 Member

Always get an atty!!!! always The solicitors get pissed if you don't and then they WILL throw the book at you.
    This zero tolerance crap is out of control, they'll take you in for nyquill .02...anything. they'll prob drop it but you'll have to get an atty and then do the dui course and all that crap. $$$$$$$$$ for the state and it will cost you big; so people 1 beer now will get you thrown in jail. If you say you've been drinking anything you can go to jail. This is serious now. Believe ME! DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE IN THIS STATE

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  15. Alex

Interesting blueline, thanks!

16. well he blew a .025 not sure but thats not much over .02 right. but then again him being 21 it should be .08 right. He got an attorney cant remember there name but i know there in buckhead( like thats really going to help)

17. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

Lucky that person wasn't in the military...Kiss it goodbye for a DUI in the military....I have never had one, but I have heard about what happens if you do in the service. Blueline, I remember that Cobb PD said at the Citizen's Public Safety Academy that 1 out of every 7 drivers are under the influence, I am not sure whether that was nationwide or just GA...That is crazy...

Mark

18. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

good info blue line!

19. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

if that is true, that really is crazy

20. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i think i know one of them... (its not me)

21. Was it 0.025 or 0.25? If the former, he may well be charged with less safe, and it shouldn't be quite as bad. If the latter, he's well over the legal limit and is in quite a bit of trouble.

22. he said .025.

23. Goose013

Goose013 Member

so he had maybe one or two drinks and prob not impaired but had to go to jail anyways. That sucks to the fullest.