Atlanta considers banning baggy pants

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by N2BNLOW, Aug 29, 2007.

1. N2BNLOW

N2BNLOW Member

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

ATLANTA -- Baggy pants that show boxer shorts or thongs would be illegal under a proposed amendment to Atlanta's indecency laws. The amendment, sponsored by city councilman C.T. Martin, states that sagging pants are an "epidemic" that is becoming a "major concern" around the country.

"Little children see it and want to adopt it, thinking it's the in thing," Martin said Wednesday. "I don't want young people thinking that half-dressing is the way to go. I want them to think about their future."

The proposed ordinance would also bar women from showing the strap of a thong beneath their pants. They would also be prohibited from wearing jogging bras in public or show a bra strap, said Debbie Seagraves, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Georgia.

The proposed ordinance states that "the indecent exposure of his or her undergarments" would be unlawful in a public place. It would go in the same portion of the city code that outlaws sex in public and the exposure or fondling of genitals.

The penalty would be a fine in an amount to be determined, Martin said.

But Seagraves said any legislation that creates a dress code would not survive a court challenge. She said the law could not be enforced in a nondiscriminatory way because it targets something that came out of the black youth culture.

"This is a racial profiling bill that promotes and establishes a framework for an additional type of racial profiling," Seagraves said.

Martin, who is black, said he plans to hold public hearings and vet the proposal through churches, civil rights groups and neighborhood organizations. The proposal will get its first public airing next Tuesday in the City Council's Public Safety Committee.

"The purpose of the paper is to generate some conversation to see if we can find a solution," Martin said. "It will be like all the discussions we've had around the value of the hip-hop culture. We know there are First Amendment issues ... and some will say I'm just trying to put young black men in jail, but it's going to be fines."

Makeda Johnson, an Atlanta mother of a 14-year-old girl, said she is glad Martin introduced the proposal. She does not want to see a law against clothing, but said she thinks teenagers are sending a message with a way of dressing that is based in jailhouse behavior.

Atlanta would not be the first city to take on sagging pants.

Earlier this year, the town council in Delcambre, La., passed an ordinance that carries a fine of up to $500 or six months in jail for exposing underwear in public. Several other municipalities and parish governments in Louisiana have enacted similar laws in recent months.

---

Information from: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, http://www.ajc.com

2. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

i support it..

3. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Haha, wtf :)

4. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Ok fine the dudes... but leave the ladies alone, I like the thong, thong, thong, thong-thong....

5. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

I agree, but it will never work.

6. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

I agree as well, but it will never happen...

7. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I agree.

8. Jewels450

Jewels450 Member

I support it but your right, how do you enforce something like that?:cool:

9. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Man screw that. Last time I checked this is fucking America. I may not like how some people dress, but you can't legislate shit like that...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  10. ridinobryan

ridinobryan Member

I don't have a problem with the style. My problem is safety. I nearly hit a guy trying to cross the street (and not at a crosswalk either) cuz he could barely move his feet.

11. Jewels450

Jewels450 Member

and people should have the right of walking down the sidewalk without seeing somone's ar$$ hanging out!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  12. FACE

FACE Active Member

Total Bullstuff...jail time for baggy pants?!?!?!?!

13. FACE

FACE Active Member

Then don't look...:keke:

14. Jewels450

Jewels450 Member

:moon:

15. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Baggy pant wearer^^^ lol, jk

:rofl: It's so true!

On a similar note, there was a study a while back showing those who wore baggy pants were more likely to have hip problems later in life due to the staggered walk they must do in order to keep there pants up. True story.

16. Jewels450

Jewels450 Member

:rofl::rofl:

17. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

High School High, they have a scene where a bunch of guys are wearing their pants like this, and they are trying to go up stairs to get into the school dance, and they are having trouble climbing the steps. They show the gus hopping, because their pants are so low they can't get their legs up a step. One guy gets about halfway up, then loses it and tumbles down the stairs, taking the other 2 guys with him. Good stuff.

18. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Yesh, hilarious movie!

19. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

i don't think it'll happen either. however, when someone walks in my office inquiring about the Air Force, and if his pants are hangin off his @$$...i tell him to leave, then come back in w/ his pants pulled up. how you gonna come to a job interview and get hired w/ your shi# hangin off? i don't care if they wear it in the mall, or on the streets. there's a time and place for it, if its your thing.

20. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Unfortunately, I think in your case that is wrong, considering the Armed Forces will take convicted criminals, as part of a court sentence, instead of jail time, or pretty much anyone else that volunteers. How can you discriminate based on someones clothes. Does it matter considering that the second they get to Boot Camp and put on thier Fatigues, if there pants are drooped, the Drill Sargent is gonna get on them.