ATTN: 'Mountain Runners'

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by Greg, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Greg

Greg Active Member

There has been an increase in police activity lately, and now, FOX 5 just made another clip of the GSP HEAT unit patroling up there and running momentary roadblocks. Just beware, you will not get a warning for anything anytime soon up there due to the hype created. Be safe

GREG

2. Jake

Jake Active Member

yeah i just saw that, i definitely feel uneasy now. but as long as we don't speed and pass anybody, we should be ok i guess...

3. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

or will we be safe....(evil laugh)!

That sucks, we'll just take it easy i guess.

4. Jake

Jake Active Member

welll i won't be going till the tranny is fixed.....

5. Greg

Greg Active Member

Still having pilot issues?

6. Jake

Jake Active Member

ha, no! its the front diff. probly gonna set-up an appointment for the week of spring break.

7. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

Large groups most likely will be tagged. Specially if the locals are making complaints.. just a FYI.. Again they do those reports every year just about specially before the weather gets nice :)

8. Jake

Jake Active Member

well they can't do anything if we maintain our distance and don't speed. it looked like they were setting up random checkpoints around blind corners to catch speeders. said they clocked a couple bikes as high as 133mph.

9. Well isn't the point of the mt runs to have some fun? Aren't the speed limits on those turns 25 mph? And my guess thats a tad bit slow...for a subaru at least :p (haven't been on a mt run..but really want to)

10. lostinthewoods

Legal fun yes.. Speeding and possible causing accidents no.

11. Greg

Greg Active Member

The speed limits up there are pretty rediculous... Its 35mph up hwy 129 and 30 all the way through hwy 180

12. soobaroo227

soobaroo227 Member

I honestly don't see how being legal can be fun up there unless you simply want to do sight seeing. I'll just stay off the mountain a while.

13. Greg

Greg Active Member

^ agreed

14. thebigph

thebigph longing for another subie Supporting Member

one thing i know is that runnning the dragon at 35 mph can be plenty of fun. i haven't had a chance to go on any north georgia mtns but 35 is def enough speed to have some good and safe times

15. lostinthewoods

Just sharing my two cents. Last year a few trips up there mutliple cars were lectured and getting very stern warnings by the local police. Also driving too crazy and running into a yellow lane crosser or any of the animals up there will end a day quick. Specially on the more residential roads up there, 180 etc.

Just keep it in reason and try keeping it smooth :) and in between the yellows.

Just remember its not a race track. I know no one here wants to hear about someone sliding off the road or running into anything...

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  16. Thanks for the info. I have always been curious how our government comes up with speed limits.I Have been on some roads where the limit was like 50 and it seemed fast to me and then there are the other ones (most of them) where you fall asleep at the wheel because it is sooooo slow.I know of people who can easily drive double or even close to triple the limit without crossing lines or squealing tires. i.e. when the limit is like 15-15 m.p.h. I never do that .But some do.

17. Greg

Greg Active Member

The only part of 180 that I drive over the speed limit is the first part (coming from 129), once I hit the gas station, its down to the speed limit due to respect for residents. I know they get sick of the noise

18. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

they can hear you a mile away

simple (i didnt say this)
    lead car and tail car (take turns being watchdog /sightseeing :) )
    cellphone

19. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Cellphone is too time consuming, you need radio or CB :p

20. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

i run with some biker friends up there, thanks for the heads up ;)

21. Demo24

Demo24 Member

I noticed a crack down on 60 today when I drove up. gotta be careful all over it seems.

22. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

when going in a group its good to have a radio ad a scout.
    let the scout go on ahead for 1-2 miles and look for the ... you know who.
    and then have fun.

the scout can also give info on oncoming cars.

james i was gonna ask you to do a run this weekend but i guess its off.

23. Masterwoo

Masterwoo Member

Here is what I do on mountain runs (NA GA & Blue Ridge Parkway) --->

When you see houses or people, follow the speed limit + ~5 mph. We should all follow Keith (lostinthewood). No need to piss anyone off.. We wouldn't want people blasting off near our home either.

When there is absoutely no one in front of you, then go at it within your ability. In my case, it is as fast as a stock WRX can go and it is plenty fast.

When there is traffic in front of you. Slow down for 20 seconds and then go as fast as you can. Repeat the process and it is just as much fun.

My 2 cents..

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  24. lostinthewoods

<rant>
    Actually wonder how GA regulates anything..

Red lights and stop signs are yield signs to about 85% the population.
    Then when you honk at someone for almost plowing into you the flip you the bird.. go figure

No one understands on highways that you drive right, pass left... duh common sense.

Craziests things I have seen is when motorists try to pass cyclists on blind corners. I have seen multiple cars run off the road when an impatient motorist tried to pass us on our bicycles...
    </rant>