Audi s5 questions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by crazyazn, Feb 1, 2014.

1. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

So I think we still have some Audi people here.

I've got a close friend of mine who's thinking of looking at s5's (2010 era). Are there certain things that I should have him look out for when checking out cars?

He's not afraid of working on cars and can figure stuff out, we just don't know much about Audi's except that there seems to be a ton of electronics and stuff going on.

2. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

2010 Coupe has the NA V8.....the convertibles had the 3.0T...hence why they are so cheap now. The 3.0T motors werent available in the coupes until the Facelift model years 2013+. If he just wants it for looks and driveability, the V8 should be fine....the only downside to it is you really cant get anymore power out of it unless he wants to drop $17k on a supercharger kit.

3. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

thanks! yeah i mentioned that i thought the slightly later yrs he can get the supercharger stock. But apparently he said he was ok with the idea of a apr supercharger or something like that. I personally question the economics of that route but meh, not my buy.

4. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

We have an 09 Q5. I know, not the same car. But one thing that a lot of '09-10 models had a bad water pump. Like ours. They used plastic blades that broke and the little plastic bits got into places they should be and cause some issues. I think it was only on the 3.2, 3.6 motors, but I'm not 100%. I know it did affect A4+6s.
    Something to ask about if they're dealing with the original owner.

5. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

This was a problem on the S4 3.0T as well. They fixed it and recalled all of the cars that had this problem. I dont think it included the V8 in the S5 though.

6. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

I looked into them when trying to decide on a new car. The 3.0T is the only one I personally would buy if there is any kind of mod bug that is going to happen with the car. I also would opt for the 6 speed. The dual clutch is an amazing piece of engineering but the change between shifts was so smooth and quick that it actually took something away from driving the car for me. I need a little jolt (ex: M3, GT-R, PDK, etc).