Audiophiles, lets talk....

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by aftercrash, Apr 19, 2011.

1. aftercrash

aftercrash Member

So I just got my car, and one of the first things I noticed was the audio. Looking to possibly replace the speakers or possibly add a subwoofer. If I do a subwoofer, is it possible to put it under the seats? I really don't want a box in the back, as I have alot of work equipment coming in and out of the car. Also, I want to keep the stock head unit if possible.

So, what would YOU do to enhance the audio experience of the car?

2. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Welcome. You're in for a bit of a challenge if you're trying to obtain some sort of audiophile bliss inside the GR chassis.

(1) You'll need to replace the stock HU as it is garbage.
    (1a) Some report that the stock speakers sound decent once power is applied -- but I don't know they would meet your "audiophile" ears.
    (2) Underseat subwoofers rarely offer that SQ bass that I'm after; trunk solutions that do not intrude unnecessarily are are available now.
    (3) Install sound deadening and purchase more quiet tires -- the dunlops are quite loud.

3. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I read audiophile and got excited...then read the thread and thought fail. An audiophile would ditch the stock head unit and stock speakers.

Talk to sladeaudio....he is a sponsor of the board and looks like he does great work and sells some really high end equipment.

4. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

audiophile = NOTHING stock audio related.

5. slade1274

slade1274 Member

First things you need to define is what exactly you are looking for, what compromises you are willing to give, and what your budget is. I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

6. Alex

Ah, I guess I missed the "what would YOU do" part...

(1) New HU
    (2) New 3-way speaker setup
    (3) New amplifer
    (4) New wiring
    (5) Additional dampening
    (6) "Custom" box for the hatch area + amp rack
    (7) And the list pretty much goes on and on...

7. slade1274

slade1274 Member

3 way like your soon to be front stage, or two way front stage plus sub? ;)

I like a 2 way front stage plus sub for simplicity, and great results can be had.

A new HU would definitely benefit, as would amps and speaker upgrades. I truly am an audiophile- come to the meet tonight and have a listen ;) - to that regard, I am sold on active processing to really tame the hostile automotive interior and give better results, leaning toward a listening room. There are a few to choose from, of course I'm biased toward the Audison BitOne. It can turn a mediocre setup into a winner and a good setup to plain outstanding.

So, HU of choice
    Audison BitOne
    Amplifiers of choice- I like the size, features, and price of these when they are on sale:
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_23737_VIBE-Audio-LiteBox-Stereo-4-LiteBox4.html
    The 4 channel would be setup for two channels to the tweeters and two to the midbass.
    Then go with this for the sub
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_29981_VIBE-Audio-LiteBox-Bass-1.html

You can fit both those amps under one seat, or tuck them almost anywhere.

An all in one that is quite small is
    http://www.massiveaudio.com/store/product.php?productid=16246&cat=281&page=1
    but the power ratings are probably on the high/peak side and is probably more inline with the rated power of the LiteBox pair.

Or an Alpine PDX5 or JL HD 5 channel.

As far as the subs, MTX and Earthquake have some very solid shallow mount subs that can be put in a box that is quite unobtrusive. Also, Tang Band makes some 6.5" subwoofers that kick hard and can also be used in tight places.

And finally, the great thing about the BitOne is that you can use less expensive separate drivers rather than ones designed and marketed for car audio.

Or, get a great set of automotive specific drivers with crossovers, a new HU, and a 3 or 4 channel amp to drive them and a sub. Again, I'm biased to Hertz- and I have a few sets in a cabinet for auditions if that route interests you...

I guess the theme here is- gut and replace everything..... :eek:

8. Alex

Sounds typical of an proper audio installation. :)

9. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

[​IMG]

Oh wait you said audiophiles........wrong thread.

10. nygiant

nygiant Member