Back in the Saddle Again!!!

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by K. Marx, Oct 13, 2010.

1. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

8/20/12: Updated pics on 2nd page.

NOTE: Edits to this original post made as my project progresses

Well... I did it. Now I own another $&#*@&% Subaru. It's not my fault; it followed me home.

Seriously, though, I'm back again and thought I'd give this whole "journal" thing a shot. Yesterday evening I went and purchased this:

http://wrxatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28964 (I'll get some fresh photos soon, but right now it looks just like the ad, minus the larger hoodscoop.) Previous owner seems like a great guy, and really took care of the car overall.

I've been here before. I had a blue 04 wagon with a 16G which I ended up selling to C_Wagginz back around February. Nine months later I decided that maybe that wasn't such a good idea and that I'd like to have another one. This time will be a bit different... I plan to bump this one up to maybe a stage two, maintain it, and run it till it blows before I consider anything much beyond that level. I figure bolt on turbos + 136,000 miles probably isn't the greatest idea in the world unless I have money to burn.

The car itself is well maintained, with a more or less stock motor paired with a downpipe and electronic cutout. Clutch was replaced not all that long ago, and fluids are relatively fresh.

Notable mods are:
    -The aforementioned downpipe with cutout
    -Tein H Tech springs
    -Aftermarket struts (I'll get under there soon and try to find out what)
    -Rear sway
    -Bushings
    -BBS STi wheels
    -Ebay intercooler

Changes currently underway (or soon to begin):

-It's way overdue for a timing belt. In fact, the car is already parked and waiting for me to tear into that within the next week. EDIT: DONE.

-I kind of hate to do it, but I think I'm going to try and trade for BBS silvers or maybe some other nice lightweight wheels (SSRs, perhaps?) The wifey just isn't feeling the gold, and it's a little more outspoken than my subtle self is used to, although I have to admit it looks damn good IMO. EDIT: DONE. Now on silver BBS wheels. I like em!

-I might sell off the Ebay intercooler and run the stock one until I get a STi part. Hell, I might even just run the stocker with a silicon Y pipe. Jury is still out on that one. EDIT: Back on the stocker, which was traded for a catless uppipe. Will go STi intercooler eventually.

-The springs might get removed at some point. I think I really like how she sits right now in terms of handling (it is waaaay more modified in that department than my other wagon was... my old suspension was stock), but my penchant for fishing and other outdoor activities leaves me in a position where I may end up rubbing the belly more often than I want. Then again, I'm really not a fan of the stock ride height either, and while I haven't really driven it hard yet, it does feel more buttoned down than my other car. Ugh. Decisions. EDIT: I'm leaving the suspension alone. I like it. I did get rid of the cutout until I get a good high flow catted DP. Running the stocker until then.

-Car still has a catted uppipe. That's gotta go. If I go on the cheap, gutting and heat wrapping may be in that pipe's future. EDIT: Catless up bought and going in.

-EM. Not sure what I'm going to do about that one. Maybe I'll track down a version 1 AP, or maybe I'll talk to Doug about the possibility of an opensource tune. EDIT: Tracking down a decent used AP now

Shit. Here I go spending money again....
    EDIT: Holy shit. I didn't know the half of it when I bought this thing. Currently in the process of gathering parts for A SIX SPEED SWAP!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  2. b reel

b reel Active Member

Glad to hear your back at it, maybe just clean the BBS's up and paint them yourself. With a good cleaning, prep work and taking your time with some quality rattle can paint they can turn right nice.

3. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

Glad to see your back...

I still need to get that fob from you, and check out the new ride.

Sent from my Moto Droid using Tapatalk

4. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

Sounds good! I'll be around.

As for the car, ordered the timing belt kit for it today. If all goes well, I might have it on the road by next weekend.

Also talked to Cicio at Topspeed today, and discussed the merits of tracking down an Accessport version 1 to get started vs. an opensource tune. I may actually let Doug put an opensource stage two setup on it this time.

Of course, I have some things to figure out beforehand:

- Should I gut the stock up pipe or get an aftermarket one?

- Should I stick with the Ebay intercooler that's on it, go back to stock, or source out an STi one?

- Aaaaaand the big one for me... Should I stick with the stock axleback/electric cutout setup that's on it, or go looking for a nice catback with a catted downpipe?

Decisions, decisions. :wiggle:

EDIT: I'll also admit that there is one other question that lingers in the back of my mind.... since this motor is getting some miles on it and I wouldn't be too awful upset if it died, it is very tempting to start learning to opensource tune on my own. There's no logical reason for that, just my constant urge to follow through on DIY stuff. It would probably take me all of a week to kill it. On second thought, maybe I ought to leave that stuff to the pros.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  5. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

I know someone that may be interested in the electric cutout if you want to sell it.
    Would have to see some pics of it first, but I'm pretty sure he'd want it.

Glad to see you're back in a Subaru!

6. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

Very tempting... I have a spray gun and compressor. In fact, I painted the wheels on my old car and thought they turned out pretty damned good overall.

In person and cleaned up, though, these wheels are in REALLY great shape- enough so that refinishing them would be shame, especially since there are people out there looking for nice goldies.

IF (and that is a very large IF) I refinish them, I'm going down the "murdered out" path... solid black.

7. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

Sure! If I take it off, I can snap some pics. I know that I'm gonna jerk it off temporarily (yeah, I just wrote that) and throw the stock one back on for my first emissions check after I gut or replace the uppipe. I can take some picks of it then, maybe even next weekend.

8. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Cool. Really nice car. Welcome Back

9. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

Would you believe I JUST got this thing back on the road? :rofl:

Work has kept me freaking SLAMMED, weekends have been burnt up with both work and family related things, and I've just had almost no time to do anything (which really sucks, especially since I've previously been making good side money performing quite a bit of "shade tree" mechanic stuff).

Anyway, she's back on the road and running great with:

- new timing belt and all new idler pullies
    - fresh accessory belts
    - new water pump and thermostat
    - fresh fuel filter
    - Perrin turbo inlet (I found a crack on the factory one)
    - coolant flush
    - snorkus delete elbow

Aaaaaand several other little odds and ends. I made it through inspection WITH the electric cutout downpipe :). I am back on the stock intercooler, though... for now.

I need to get some pics, I suppose. I think I've officially decided to trade the BBS goldies for some silvers, so we'll see if I have any luck.

10. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I'd purchase a Cobb catback or throw a Prodrive muffler onto your setup. That will round it out and really give you what you're looking for I think. Was the radiator in good shape after you did the flush?

11. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

Actually, the radiator did seem to be in good shape, but it is one of the older style ones without a cap.

I'm not holding out hope that it will last all that long. I actually thought about replacing it as a precaution (as we know that it's probably about time for it to crack), but I was so tired of ordering parts/waiting/doing work/ordering parts/waiting/doing work and so on that I just filled her up, bled the system, and put it back on the road.

I think I'm going to go ahead and order another radiator within the next month or so... possibly an aluminum one. I have multiple bottles of Subaru coolant and conditioner sitting in my basement, so I wasn't too worried about the idea of wasting a bottle on the soon to be short lived current fill.

As for the idea of a catback, trust me, it's on the agenda. :)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  12. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

Edits made to original post as I move along. I've actually regressed in some areas performance wise, but sometimes you've gotta make a few step backward before you can move forward again.

Big news is a six speed swap. I've already bought a rebuilt six speed and diff, but am also talking to another member on here about sourcing some very important parts.

Hopefully that part of the project will be done within the next couple of months.

13. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

I haven't updated this in a while, so I figured I'd throw up a few pics of how she sits now. Excuse the cell phone pics; I has no fancy camera.

[​IMG]
    By jsteinbeck at 2012-08-20

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My experience with a shop and a six speed swap was (and still is) a FUCKING NIGHTMARE for all parties involved, but I finally got with Allpro and they took care of me. It's nice to look down and see this now:

[​IMG]

Car has a turbo XS downpipe and adapter running into a full 3 inch SPT catback, along with a Cobb stage 2 reflash.

When the motor finally goes I'll get into some real power, but the thing is a lot of fun as is, and I'm interested to see just how long the engine goes: I have to add NO oil between changes, it uses no coolant, and compression numbers are spot on. She might have another hundred thousand left in her yet!

BTW, excuse my "JSteinbeck" tags on the pics. That's the name I go by over thur on Nasioc.

14. liltoua

liltoua Member

Looks awesome keep it up!

15. Smokin_Joe

Smokin_Joe Member

it does look really nice!
    Joe

16. talos

talos Member

The car looks great! I love my 6 speed. Did you go with the sti brakes as well?

17. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

I appreciate the positive comments!

No STi brakes at this time... I went the route of using the existing hubs and axles with a 3:90 ring and pinion switch out.

I'd eventually like to upgrade the brakes to 04 Brembos, or at the very least, 06+ four pots and the Legacy rear brake upgrade. I don't really plan to track the car or ever throw anything over 400whp at it, so the cost of going to larger 05+ STi hubs is hard to justify.

Before I get into that I'm thinking about redoing the struts and springs. It have GR2s and H techs on it right now, and I think I'd like to do Konis with a wagon specific spring of some sort... I think I might actually want it to sit up a little higher. Not stock high, but I'd like a little more travel.