Ball Racing - An Introduction

Discussion in 'Ball Racing' started by slowwrx, Nov 7, 2011.

1. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I wanted to do a quick introduction even though most of you know me, most still don't know what is going on with the new company.

We formed this new company specifically to build Subaru engines. While we plan to expand the line to others makes in the future for right now we want to concentrate on bringing you the highest quality Subaru engines available.

Building Subaru engines with one of the existing parts lines would have been good enough for most we wanted to bring something better to the table. So instead of doing the expected we developed our own Pistons and Rods. I'll go into more detail on our pistons in a future post later this week but we think that they are the nicest pistons currently available for the Subaru market. Our H-Beam rods are an amazingly high quality rod at a very reasonable price. We use these rods on engines rated to 550whp, beyond that we use Oliver rods. Oliver builds some of the nicest rods available Subaru or not.

Our focus is providing quality engines for the Subaru community.
    We plan to keep all of our most common engines in stock, so that when you’re ready we are ready. The response to our new engine program just from word of mouth has been overwhelming. We have seven engines in the shop being built as we speak. As soon as we get caught up on these we will resume normal production. Hopefully I’ll have some time soon to post some tech articles.

Matthew Ball
    Ball Racing LLC

P.S. Stay tuned for a short block give away contest soon.

2. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

Welcome, and sweet. If it's anything like the shortblock you just did for Ryan, sign me up.

3. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

Welcome and keep us updated! If there is anything I can do let me know. Thanks!

4. slowwrx

Thanks, Ryan's setup is going to be very nice. I'm looking forward to seeing it on the dyno.

5. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Hoppe may need a block.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  6. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Good to hear you are doing well.

Here's a challenge for ya.

Build/design a forged piston motor that will last 150k miles ;)

7. slowwrx

How much power do you want to make.

I think we can build a 2618 engine that will make it to 100K

I think if you weren't trying to make over 450 whp we could build a 4032 engine that would make it that far maybe.

You know how Subaru's are though it has as much to do with the tune as it does anything else.

8. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yeah I know it has to do with the tune and it also has to do with the owner treating it right.

The highest mileage forged car I know of is Kokopelli's old Mahle 4032 engine. IIRC he had like almost 70K miles on that engine and he was pushing 430 hp for the majority of that engine's life if I'm not mistaken (I know he hit 500+ on race but that was not many times that he ran race gas and mostly drove on pump).

I was very interested in Doug's 2011 but that SS1 block just isn't gonna live long with how much I drive. I avg 25-30k miles a year :(

9. slowwrx

It would be a pain and I would have to get another set of pistons built but geometry wise there are a lot of good things about the Destroker engines. We could do a 2.35 with a +4mm Rod (normal is 2mm if you aren't up to speed on destrokers) with a 4032 piston. We might even be able to go plus 5 or 6mm on the rod but that does create some very unique issues with the oil control ring and the piston pin hole.

10. sharif@forged

sharif@forged Member

Good luck with your new business venture. Let us know if we can help.

11. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I'll say that if you guys work together this would be a great opportunity for both parties. Forged always stays full of Subarus and Ball could have engines on the ready. Would make for some killer turn around schedules for customers of Forged.

Just a thought.

12. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

That motor would have lasted a lot longer had I not been running a 50-50 nitro-meth mix. ;)

13. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

That's very good to hear. Was my estimated DD power levels right?

Can you say why the other 4032 engines you did failed? Too much power perhaps?

14. slowwrx

Thanks Sharif

15. slowwrx

We actually have two shops that we private label engines for right now up north. We are always open to working with other shops especially one as well known as Forged.

16. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

That's awesome man.

17. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

That was the only 4032 engine I had fail.

If I had to do it again I would go with the 4032's and keep it around 425 whp. That is more than enough for the street.

18. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

truth

19. Texsun

Texsun Member

I think you should just give it away to me so my Subi may live! You can put Ball Racing stickers all over my car or w/e you want!

20. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

What?!?! I might need one!!! 165k on the odo and skeered to put my rotisserie kit on it. Man, if I would have know subbies were high maintenance, I would have bought an evo...LOL!

21. slowwrx

EVOs are really just as bad.

We will be doing the giveaway around the beginning of the year. Everybody is to busy right now to even think about it.

22. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

BTW, I stopped by Miller's this afternoon and saw one of your projects coming out of the oven. Lookin Hawt gloss black!!! The 300+ degree doesn't do anything to the block tolerences or make it heat up since it's retaining it? I guessin not, but dang, might have to get a block powdercoated now.

23. ballistic

ballistic Member

they are coated before they are machined and its not ceramic so its shouldnt really affect cooling temps. depending on how this one turns out, they may all be coated

24. slowwrx

Honestly we don't know yet. The one coming out of the oven is the test subject. It will either go in my car or in Andrews, it should be interesting to see what the heat cycling did to it for sure. We are literally 2 seconds up arcado, I next time you are in the area give me a call you are welcome to stop by anytime.

Matt

25. b reel

b reel Active Member

never had an issue with any of the cases I've coated.

26. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

Ok cool. Was always anal bought painting engines and heating it up before assembling it back and checking for tolerances. Cool. Let us know how that turns out.

27. slowwrx

I measured and recorded everything before we sent it off so I could check it when it came back.

28. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

That's what I'm talkin bout. Good that you keep track of it before and after.

29. slowwrx

Yeah we want to see what kind of effect that level of heat has, even though we will be machining it after.

30. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

Will you also measure temps between a powdercoated block as supposed to one that is not, just for comparison? Would like to see differences. Probably not much but would like to see.

31. slowwrx

We will, I doubt there will be much difference honestly, most of the heat is removed through the cooling system. If it is an issue we can always have them coated with a thermal dispersion coating.

32. Did you guys do the block give away?

33. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Wirelessly posted (From Your Mom's House!: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; HTC_Amaze_4G Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

You're not getting it...you'll blow it up.

34. LOL. I'm getting my OWN paid for :) but i wont blow it up. Just "Going another route"

35. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

finally getting new vs used junk I see.

36. LOL yep after spending a small fortune, and still spending...I have to do it right this time.